Got my heavy trolling rod ready

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my heavy trolling rod ready

Penn 309 300yd mono backer, 330yd 20# braded.
    Attached Files

Trolling heavy freshwater and light saltwater
    Attached Files

Comment

Penn 309
      Attached Files

Comment

Uh, what are you expecting to hook up with JhJimbo?What ever your after is in for fight !I can see that, are you sure you might not need a bigger boat?

Comment

In my never humble opinion, you are over-gunned for most fresh water fish. What kind of fish is likely to run off 600 yards of 20# line?
          I had a good bit of experience with the 309 Penn back when I was chartering, and while it is a good reel, it tends not to hold up well after repeated encounters with heavy fish and the level wind has to be babied so that it won't be destroyed by the hostile salt environment. The newer Penn Squall seems to be a much better reel at a reasonable price.
          Whatever happens, I hope you find some fish willing to take you down into your backing---repeatedly. Have fun, get you some good eating, and keep those roller guides oiled up and spinning free. GET BENT!

Comment

Do be careful with that reel. I have seen a couple of people get badly mashed fingers from the level wind when a big fish was taking out line. Nothing major, but painful. And it gets blood all over your nice, clean reel. Tight lines.

Comment

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
              Uh, what are you expecting to hook up with JhJimbo?What ever your after is in for fight !I can see that, are you sure you might not need a bigger boat?
              I am looking at a bigger boat right now, a project for the winter. I have located a SeaRay well kept that needs cosmetic attention, bottom painted. Old man has it (older than me) and has not used it in some time. Not sure, just thinking about it. It is a sedan hardtop cruiser so my Dermatologist should be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by pineywoods View Post
                Do be careful with that reel. I have seen a couple of people get badly mashed fingers from the level wind when a big fish was taking out line. Nothing major, but painful. And it gets blood all over your nice, clean reel. Tight lines.
                I will only fish Lake Erie. Biggest fish I have heard of is a Sturgeon caught on the Canadian side of the Lake estimated to be 1,000lb. It is protected so they did not take it out of the water. It took 12 men shoulder to shoulder to hold it in the water. You may have seen pictures of it as it was in a lot of the magazines.
                Other than that, largest game fish I would guess would be 100+ catfish.
                Walleye are running in the 15lb tops as are salmon. Muskie could be higher but hard to catch in Erie. .

Comment

Originally posted by pineywoods View Post
                  I found a picture of the Sturgeon I was talking about..

https://www.google.com/search?q=lake+erie+sturgeon+record&rlz=1C1CHZL_enU S691US693&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=CN0rkyp5DG kEXM%253A%252C0lZsZhSsmkkx1M%252C_&usg=__zTjOWkehe mF9MIiNbSbOuXsqgv0%3D&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjn2qimwLrcAh Uk3IMKHZI0A74Q9QEwC3oECAEQWw#imgrc=CN0rkyp5DGkEXM:

Comment

Jim, ex F&S user Hoski was a big Lake Erie fisherman.
                    To bad you guys didn't hook up. He loved walleye fishing.
                    In Pulaski, NY on Lake Ontario the Kings should start getting hooked in August, heading toward the Salmon River into September.
                    Good Luck!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                      In Pulaski, NY on Lake Ontario the Kings should start getting hooked in August, heading toward the Salmon River into September.
                      Good Luck!
                      I have fished Pulaski back in the '60's.

Comment

Same reel I used to carry offshore when you could still fish off of the platforms in the Gulf. My rod didn't have roller guides, and I used 50# test Trilene Big Game. Never hooked up with anything that broke my line.

Comment

I agree with pineywoods. That is an ocean shark fishing outfit maybe. Or sturgeon if you actually had some good fishing for them. That rod will give you a lot of problems fishing anything less in freshwater. I have caught a ton of salmon in my cruiser and DEFINITELY do not want a rod that stiff. They shake on it too easily and tear loose the hooks. Also when the slack pops out after the line lets go of downrigger, you want something with more action to it to absorb the shock gently. A rod that stiff will either tear out the hook or break the line. Pick up a salt water jigging pole. They are stiff enough but sufficient action in the tips to keep the fish on. You'll never set the hook on a walleye with anything that stiff. They are too nibbly. Those old roller guide poles were meant mostly for steel line trolled with lots of lead in the old days before downriggers were perfected. Pretty much a dinosaur for freshwater these days.

The Penn 309 is not a bad choice at all. I have two of them I use on Shimano jigging rods. You need a lot of backing to fill up the spool. Doesn't matter if you never use it. It's there as filler. To fill up that spool with expensive braided line would break the bank! Best to have the spool full or nearly full for fast retrieve.

P.S. Go ahead and make your reel photos Top Answer so they pop up below your other photos. We won't hold it against you. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                            Good Luck!
                            I remember Hoski and some of the photos of his catch. He fishes Lake Erie 50 or 75 miles East of where I fish.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                              Same reel I used to carry offshore when you could still fish off of the platforms in the Gulf. My rod didn't have roller guides, and I used 50# test Trilene Big Game. Never hooked up with anything that broke my line.
                              I put on 300yds of Kastking mono for backing and then 330yds of Kastking braided 20lb. The braided has a 80lb breaking strength. I am just experimenting with this set up to see how it trolls. I have downriggers but with the braided I think I can get down to the thermocline with just some weight. My regular walleye rod is an UglyStick Alpha Boron Heavy weight.
                              I have been using it for 30 years and my record limit for walleyes is 45 minutes so I know it works.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget