Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some advice on a fishing problem. I do quite a bit of trout fishing in the small cold-water streams near where I live in Io

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice on a fishing problem. I do quite a bit of trout fishing in the small cold-water streams near where I live in Io

Need some advice on a fishing problem. I do quite a bit of trout fishing in the small cold-water streams near where I live in Iowa, and for the last couple of years I have been having more and more issues with losing hooked fish. It's gotten to the point where at least half of my strikes get off. And I'm not talking about fish that are just on for an instant; many of these fish are almost close enough to net when they get off. I've tried everything I can think of, like making sure my hooks are sharp (I use in-line spinners), keeping the rod tip up to mantain pressure on the line, etc., but the problem seems to be getting worse. I lost two ~15" rainbows and several smaller fish just this morning. Anyone have any tips to prevent this?

Okay HFT, I get the frustration and all of your fundamentals are sound. The only thing I can think is to try smaller hooks. Normally a rainbow will inhale its food (which drives me nuts as I can never seem to release a small one alive as they are badly hooked). That's all I have, replace your hooks, especially if they are treble hooks, to something smaller.

Comment

Play with the drag. Sometimes their mouths are pretty weak and a hook can be pulled out easily.

Comment

Good question to send to the fishing guru's at O.L.

Comment

Hi...

The Captain may have an answer. Are you using treble hooks?

Try using double hooks...with the barbs facing up, or try using a single hook...again, with the barb facing up.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I may have to try The Captain's suggestion. I can't really use a smaller lure, because if I go too light they run too shallow, and go right over top of the fish. But maybe putting a smaller treble or even a single hook on a regular spinner would work. I'll post an update if I try it and it works.

Comment

try setting the hook harder and use braided line

Comment

I've always used single hooks.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget