Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can any harm come from moving fish from one lake to another?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can any harm come from moving fish from one lake to another?

Can any harm come from moving fish from one lake to another?

To be more specific...could any harm come from catching various catfish from various locations and then releasing them into our private lake to aid in the restocking process.

Comment

I don't claim to be a fish expert, but I would say possibly yes, for a couple of reasons. One would be the risk of introducing invasive species, which probably isn't such a big deal for moving comething like catfish. The other potential problem would be spreading disease, which is always a concern when moving any kind of wildlife around the landscape.
      Bottom line, I would contact your local fisheries biologist, and see what they think. It may not even be legal to move fish from public bodies of water to a private lake, for that matter.

Comment

I believe there are sources where you can buy certain species from licensed fish farmers. They would know what is legal and what is not legal or not desirable.

Comment

Thanks for the answers.
          -I know there are places you can buy them, JHP, but I figured catching them and transferring them would be a bit more fun.
          -I was mainly worried about the things huntfishtrap mentioned(spreading something), so I'll go the safe route and just buy a few stockers.

Comment

JM, I read a story about a Maine guide putting a non resident fish inside Moosehead Lake. I can't remember the fish species but they feed on trout eggs.
            He was caught and received a large fine by the state Conservation Officer.
            I advise against stocking fish.
            Let the Fish and Wildlife experts handle that.
            Gary

Comment

JM, moving a known species that you have caught to your own pond does not strike me as overly risky. With catfish I would not even hesitate, especially if you catch some big cats (good breeding stock). Keep the fish in a big, shaded, aerated container and they should fare well for a short transport.
              I would also encourage you to sink some breeding barrels for the cats in some of the deeper holes. Just my .02

Comment

@The Captain,
                Thanks for the response, and yes, that is where we messed up. We never added any breeding barrels or boxes to keep up the population. My original idea for restocking was to catch some from some surrounding private lakes/ponds and releasing some of the bigger ones into our pond to let them breed.

Comment

If you're going to be moving something like a catfish from one private lake to another, then I doubt there would be any legality issues. So with that added bit of info, I would now say that you're probably fine if you want to catch and relocate a few cats. But just to be safe I still would check with a fisheries biologist, just to make sure there are no potential disease problems.

Comment

Well JM you live and you learn. I expect in a few years you will enjoy a rejuvenated lake brimming with pan-sized catfish filets. Best of luck and have fun doing it. Wish I could come down and help.

Comment

probably safer to buy but i dont see to much harm in it as long as your moving them to your pond and not a public area lol

Comment

Hi...

I don't think it would be a good idea...UNLESS you first checked with your local fish cops. In some areas, transplanting fish is not allowed.

Comment

Now illegal in some states.

I moved bass from a pond to another pond once and pretty sure I moved something that caused sores on the fish by doing this. Never happened before.

The thing you have to be careful with is not moving fish; it's moving the water. Water can have things in it like zebra mussels, exotic snails, noxious plants, etc.

Comment

yes, it can. If you move a fish from one water body to another it can bring diseases

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                              To be more specific...could any harm come from catching various catfish from various locations and then releasing them into our private lake to aid in the restocking process.
                              Yes!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dads gun #2 Browning auto5 20ga
                                by dewman
                                Last time it was shot was a pheasant hunt in Colorado in '84. I'll have to remedy that. This gun is feather light. Wish the choke was ic or mod. It's...
                                Yesterday, 08:40 AM
                              • Dads gun #1 S&W 28-2. .357
                                by dewman
                                Got my fathers 28-2 357 to go with my 29-2 44mag. Check out the safari land flap holster. ...
                                Yesterday, 07:59 AM
                              • What is taking so long ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                Can't be that hard for the Administrator to 86 the spammers....
                                09-21-2020, 07:52 PM
                              • Burn cream
                                by CD2
                                Drugstore used to carry a white silver cream.
                                No longer does.
                                Was maybe 10 bucks or so for a little tube.
                                Bargain.

Got...
                                09-21-2020, 05:39 PM
                              • Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
                                by dewman
                                So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
                                09-20-2020, 10:12 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X