Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've been told soft crawls are excellent fish bait, if this is true, can you tell me where, when, and how to catch them, and the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been told soft crawls are excellent fish bait, if this is true, can you tell me where, when, and how to catch them, and the

I've been told soft crawls are excellent fish bait, if this is true, can you tell me where, when, and how to catch them, and the best method of fishing with them? Thank you, ksm_64@hotmail.com

-I'm guessing soft crawls are another name for crayfish/crawdads? I've never heard the term.
    -If you are referring to crayfish/crawdads I have found the best way to catch them is either with traps or a net and flashlight around rocky areas at night(there are some pretty good plastic crawdad baits out there if you can not catch any...or want eat the ones you do catch haha).
    -As far as fishing with them I would almost suggest fishing with plastics first(that way you can learn methods/areas without wasting any live 'crawls'.

Comment

To be more specific; rocky areas under the water in clear streams, creeks or small ponds.

Comment

soft crawls, crawdaddys, crawfish, ditch lobster, mud bugs

Comment

You get the soft craws when they molt. This goes on all spring and summer and as far as I know can't be timed. If you are fishing for largemouth or smallmouth bass they aren't really necessary because they eat them whenever they can find them. Hard shell or not. I'll go with JM on the soft plastics. Try some Strike King Rodent's or Reaction innovation Sweet Beavers. Just rig them Texas style.

Comment

The soft shell only reduces the need to remove the pinchers. Even the hard pinchers are not a problem if you are fishing for large mouth bass. To catch them, use a good hardware cloth trap with cotton seed meal as bait. Crawfish will go to just about any old bait such as dead fish, bread, or even a sliced cucumber, but the cotton seed meal seems to call them in better than anything else I have tried. Bone meal is my second choice for bait. I place the bait in a small section of old panty hose and then put it in the trap. To use the mudbugs as bait, put a hook into the tail and pull them backwarks in short light jerks. Be careful when you cast them because you can jerk the heads off real easy with the hook in the tail.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget