Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you are fishing in a length restricted fishery and you hook a fish in the gills that is outside of the legal limit, do you re

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you are fishing in a length restricted fishery and you hook a fish in the gills that is outside of the legal limit, do you re

If you are fishing in a length restricted fishery and you hook a fish in the gills that is outside of the legal limit, do you return it to the water knowing it won't survive, or keep the fish so that it will not be wasted and hope to be able to explain if necessary?

Release it. Game wardens etc. do not care if it was gill hooked or what...too short is too short.

Comment

Throw it back. People can always claim a fish was fatally hooked as an excuse to keep over/under size ones. The warden should always write the ticket.

Comment

I’d let it go. It’s not worth the ticket and if it does die, something will use it.

Comment

Depends on the likelihood of a game warden showing up. If I was in a remote area with nobody else around I would likely keep it - I hate to see any fish or game go to waste (I know something would likely make use of it, but as far as I'm concerned, the otters, coons, herons, etc. have enough to eat).

Comment

Send it back to the water, I've seen some gnarly fish with some serious wounds scarred over. It may be bleeding a lot, might not look like it will make it, but if you take it, you can be 100% sure it won't make it. Plus there is the legality of keeping a short fish or one outside the slot, not exactly ethical.

Comment

I hate having to do it but I always let them go. Like Yoda, I have seen fish recover from some crazy injuries.

Comment

Hi...

Yes, I would release it. However...with all of the fishing I've done over the years, I don't remember any that I've caught by the gill(s).

Comment

Bob Hanson, I can't tell you how many fish I have caught that have taken the live bait deep and the hook wound up in the gills and yes occasionally lures. Once the gills are hooked, it has been my experience, that the fish has little chance of survival, especially if it is difficult to extract the hook.

Comment

The circle of life says that it will go to good use. Whether to feed a snapping turtle or a gar. It's not worth it to me to get on bad terms with any Wildlife Officer. An ethical sportsman cannot be a hypocrite. It's up to us to set the example, not be the example. Semper Fidelis ladies and Gents.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget