Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to know what bait works for Asian Carp. Bait that has acutally been used and works well for Asian Carp. The regular carp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to know what bait works for Asian Carp. Bait that has acutally been used and works well for Asian Carp. The regular carp

Need to know what bait works for Asian Carp. Bait that has acutally been used and works well for Asian Carp. The regular carp bait may not work for Asian Carp, at least that is the response I have been getting from some. Need Help!!!

Here is a tip i saw posted. Good luck, let us know what works. A speeding boat will get them jumping, then i was thinking a 12ga would knock them down.

Big head and silver carp are filter feeders so it is nearly impossible to legitly catch them via lure or bait offering. Snagging tends to be the ticket with "asian carp". If you really want to catch these fish bait fishing you have to go native.

Get the largest catfish bobber you can find (those ones that look like a stick of dynamite). Under your bobber thread your line through the holes of the smalled whiffle ball you can find and attatch a three way swivel beneath the ball (it needs to be big enough to not pass through the hole or use a large rubber bead). Buy a pack of snelled bait holder hooks (size 2 or 4) and attach one (via a loop knot) to each of the open rings of the three-way swivel.

Make a mixture of bread crumbs, oats (put through the blender), and a sweetened liquid of your choice. It should be firm enough to pack it to a ball but break up slowly. Mold this into and around the whiffle ball. Once this is complete lightly secure the snelled hooks into the ball of bait and cast out.

The fish will be attracted to the breaking up particles of food and start to bat the ball around, dont set the hook yet. There will be no question once the fish is hooked.

Comment

I've heard of guys using green acorns for Grass carp (a type of Asian carp), but other than that I haven't heard of anyone fishing for them with a rod-and-reel.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
        Here is a tip i saw posted. Good luck, let us know what works. A speeding boat will get them jumping, then i was thinking a 12ga would knock them down.

Big head and silver carp are filter feeders so it is nearly impossible to legitly catch them via lure or bait offering. Snagging tends to be the ticket with "asian carp". If you really want to catch these fish bait fishing you have to go native.

Get the largest catfish bobber you can find (those ones that look like a stick of dynamite). Under your bobber thread your line through the holes of the smalled whiffle ball you can find and attatch a three way swivel beneath the ball (it needs to be big enough to not pass through the hole or use a large rubber bead). Buy a pack of snelled bait holder hooks (size 2 or 4) and attach one (via a loop knot) to each of the open rings of the three-way swivel.

Make a mixture of bread crumbs, oats (put through the blender), and a sweetened liquid of your choice. It should be firm enough to pack it to a ball but break up slowly. Mold this into and around the whiffle ball. Once this is complete lightly secure the snelled hooks into the ball of bait and cast out.

The fish will be attracted to the breaking up particles of food and start to bat the ball around, dont set the hook yet. There will be no question once the fish is hooked.
        They can be caught below dams in flowing water with twistertail jigs. Chartreuse green, motor oil, white, & black seem to be the preferred colors.

Comment

They can be caught below dams in flowing water with twistertail jigs. Chartreuse green, motor oil, white, & black seem to be the preferred colors.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
            by jhjimbo
            If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
            Today, 02:15 PM
          • Pay it forward
            by fitch270
            I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
            10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
          • Reloading Gear Order
            by fitch270
            I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
            10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
          • Ruger Oops! Round 2
            by dewman
            Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
            10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
          • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
            by Ernie
            Any handgun hunters here?
            Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
            10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X