Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it better to troll or jig for walleye? I have had luck with both but which would produce more beautiful fish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it better to troll or jig for walleye? I have had luck with both but which would produce more beautiful fish?

Is it better to troll or jig for walleye? I have had luck with both but which would produce more beautiful fish?

That depends on the conditions you are faced with on that particular day. Sometimes both can be very effective under the same conditions. Other times conditions predicate the method that would be most effective. When fish are very aggressive and it’s not too windy you might do well with either presentation. Trolling will cover more water and possibly show the bait to more fish. When the fish are not aggressive the jigging presentation would more likely produce more bites. However if the wind is up and boat control becomes an issue vertical fishing (jigging) may not be practical. Think of it this way, if you’re very hungry you might speed to the closest burger joint and chow down on a big burger and fries (trolling). If you’re not real hungry or just feeling a bit blue, that might not appeal to you. But if someone was to tease you with a chocolate covered peanut you just might open up and suck it in (jigging).

Comment

i herd that trolling worked really well for walleye but if theres pike around the pike will hit to so its a win win sitchuatoin

Comment

i perfer trolling with planer boards.

Comment

Originally posted by haresear View Post
          That depends on the conditions you are faced with on that particular day. Sometimes both can be very effective under the same conditions. Other times conditions predicate the method that would be most effective. When fish are very aggressive and it’s not too windy you might do well with either presentation. Trolling will cover more water and possibly show the bait to more fish. When the fish are not aggressive the jigging presentation would more likely produce more bites. However if the wind is up and boat control becomes an issue vertical fishing (jigging) may not be practical. Think of it this way, if you’re very hungry you might speed to the closest burger joint and chow down on a big burger and fries (trolling). If you’re not real hungry or just feeling a bit blue, that might not appeal to you. But if someone was to tease you with a chocolate covered peanut you just might open up and suck it in (jigging).
          That's both informative and funny!

Comment

Originally posted by yungdeerslayer View Post
            i herd that trolling worked really well for walleye but if theres pike around the pike will hit to so its a win win sitchuatoin
            LOL! Have you considered using spell-check?

Comment

Originally posted by DA Yooper View Post
              i perfer trolling with planer boards.
              There was a good article on OL recently concerning that.

Comment

Here's a tip I found looking through past OL blogs...
                https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gone-fishin’/fishing-tips-how-catch-walleyes-planer-boards#page-2

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                  by jhjimbo
                  If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                  Today, 02:15 PM
                • Pay it forward
                  by fitch270
                  I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                  10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                • Reloading Gear Order
                  by fitch270
                  I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                  10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                  by dewman
                  Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                  10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                  by Ernie
                  Any handgun hunters here?
                  Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                  10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X