Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can you easily catch crawfish for live bait?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can you easily catch crawfish for live bait?

How can you easily catch crawfish for live bait?

Just turn over medium sized stones in shallow water. If you need a large number use a minnow seine. Have someone shuffle through the water up stream turning over stones with their feet and at the same time moving upstream with the seine. Only keep the ones that are abundant in your area. Some crawfish are endangered.

Comment

You can also buy a trap at Cabela's or make one out of hardware cloth. I bought oen that is shaped like a box. It works great and wasn't expensive. I trap them in a lake in MN and eat them.

Comment

I make my traps out of two liter pop bottles. Just cut the top off about an inch after it straightens out. put some holes in it to let water flow through. Throw in a rock to weigh it down and a can of sardines with holes punched in it. Then duct tape the top back on with the mouth of the bottle inside facing the bottm of the bottle. They will swim in but can't figure out how to swim out.

Comment

Just safety pin some meat (like bacon or a small piece of chicken) to a net. They make little nets for crawfishing, but a little fishing net with a handle would probably work well, too. Just try to prop the handle up on a log or something, so you will be able to see it and pick it up.

So... pin the meat onto the net and place the net in a ditch filled with water or another place with shallow water. Leave the net there for about 10-15 minutes. Then just pick up the net. If there are any crawfish in that little area, they will be in the net.

Comment

I get plenty in the same trap I use for minnows, the standard wire-mesh tubular thing with the concave ends. A sludge of sardines and crackers is what I always use for minnows, and there are always a dozen or so crawdads after one night in the crick. I would guess that a meatier bait like liver would get more crawdads.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget