Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last year I taught one of our dogs to fetch a stick thrown into our lake. Now whenever I go fishing he associates the motion of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last year I taught one of our dogs to fetch a stick thrown into our lake. Now whenever I go fishing he associates the motion of

Last year I taught one of our dogs to fetch a stick thrown into our lake. Now whenever I go fishing he associates the motion of casting the pole with me throwing a stick and jumps into the water. Is there anything you all regret teaching your dog? (I don't really regret teaching him to fetch, I just can not come up with a better word).

Thanks, JM, for the chuckle on Monday morning. I have regrets along the same lines with a labrador I had. It got to the point I couldn't even walk her along a body of water and once she was in I'd have to wade out and get her because she wouldn't want to quit retrieving.

Comment

What is lacking here is basic obedience. Try teaching Sit, Stay, Come and Heel first. It is still not too late and once you have control in the immediate area, it can be extended so you can really have a great companion dog. Look up Evan Graham's you tube videos for basic obedience. This guy is a dog whisperer and can help you solve any problem you may encounter.

Comment

Ha ha, that's awesome - you should film it, maybe you could get one America's Funniest Home Videos! I don't know that I really regret teaching our dog anything, except for maybe the word "lunch". When she was a pup, we would say "lunch time" when we were going to feed her, and she rapidly learned what that meant. So now in the years after that we have to avoid talking about anything to do with "lunch" in her earshot, or she starts begging for food.

Comment

I think that the thing i regret my pareents teaching our dogs is to run up to any car that they dont know well and bark like crazy it gets so annoying!

Comment

I regret letting a couple of fellows at a local outside hockey rink play keep away with my female Golden Retriever. You have to be an expert puck handler to keep the puck away from her. Now, she is CRAZY about hockey pucks and at the sound of one hitting the boards she is on it. She regularly breaks up hockey games by stealing their puck. If the damn things had feathers on them she would retrieve them to me, pucks are another matter entirely. Fortunately, the young guys laugh when it happens. If she can't access the ice surface she will scent one out and dig it out of the deep snow. This is a tough habit to break as obsessed best describes her behaviour.

Comment

@Res1956,
              I know why he does it, but he is just a simple farm dog. He always stops and comes to me if I call his name, so I dont have the need to teach him any further commands.

Comment

I use to take my lab fishing with me also. I would put the leash around my waste but this has ended after being pulled into the river a couple of times.

Comment

My friend tried to teach his dog to fetch beer for him. Big mistake! He wound up with a dog who knew how to open the cooler. The dog liked the hot dogs a lot more than the beer and wouldn't share!

Comment

@JM,
                    Talk to me about that when he gets run over by a car, and for God's sake, man, he is a Golden RETRIEVER, he is supposed to fetch stuff, Jeezzz,,,

Comment

1. He's not a golden retriever, I do not know where you got that from.
                      2. He's been living on the farm for 8 years...pretty sure if he was going to get hit by a car it would of been by now.

Comment

My dog won't come inside unless you give him a treat.

Comment

Originally posted by DSMbirddog View Post
                          Thanks, JM, for the chuckle on Monday morning. I have regrets along the same lines with a labrador I had. It got to the point I couldn't even walk her along a body of water and once she was in I'd have to wade out and get her because she wouldn't want to quit retrieving.
                          Ah, but was she a good dog for hunting waterfowl?

Comment

Here's a link to Evan Graham's YouTube videos.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                              Here's a link to Evan Graham's YouTube videos.
                              I hope this helps...

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                                by fitch270
                                Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                                Yesterday, 05:55 PM
                              • Grips and stocks
                                by dewman
                                so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                                Yesterday, 08:55 AM
                              • Youth pheasant hike
                                by fitch270
                                Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                                09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                              • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                                by fitch270
                                Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                                09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                              • Unusual Sound
                                by jhjimbo
                                At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                                09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X