Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what are the best lures for musky in shallow water(4-8ft.)over grassy areas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what are the best lures for musky in shallow water(4-8ft.)over grassy areas?

what are the best lures for musky in shallow water(4-8ft.)over grassy areas?

There are many different lures that may well work well for musky in that type of water but there are several variables which could influence ones choice in lure selection. You did not mention what time of year you will be fishing. In early spring just after the spawn I would go for slower moving five to six inch stick baits. Muskies may still be a little tired out from spawning activities and not want to chase down large fast moving baits. That period will not last long and then they will want a bigger meal and put forth the energy to take it. I would increase the size and also add bucktails to the mix. There are many to choose from but standby choices include black tail and silver blade, purple tail and silver blade, brown tail and brass blade. My bucktail bucket includes just about any combination you can think of and I have always been fond of a yellow tail and brass blade. Switch them out until you find one that is producing results. As of late a lot has been written about the over sized double Colorado blades and you may want to give them a try. Top water baits are good all summer as well and provide great excitement when they decide to start hitting them. Later in the summer and into fall lots of people go with the large jerk baits, suicks, bobbies, etc. Muskies will want to bulk up some for the winter and take those larger baits and seem to really like the jerk baits. If you tire of casting all day another good bait in the fall is a live sucker ten inches or so long rigged with a quick strike rig will do the trick as well. Whatever baits you choose, remember that muskies are notorious for following a bait to boat side and then turning away at the last moment. To overcome that it is important to watch your bait at all times and finish the cast with a large figure eight at boat side to entice those followers into a strike.

Comment

I would have to say crankbeits, I've caught most of my big pike and muskies on crankbaits like Rapalas shad rad, and recently got a 51" muskie using a Rapala TT20 crankbait.(pics of that one in my photos)

Comment

Shad rap and I know I spelled crankbait wrong.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
          by fitch270
          Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
          Today, 08:27 PM
        • Unusual Sound
          by jhjimbo
          At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
          Today, 02:17 PM
        • bedding on new rifle
          by Amflyer
          Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
          Today, 12:22 AM
        • Pictures blocked when logged out?
          by fitch270
          Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
          Yesterday, 08:57 PM
        • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
          by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
          09-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X