Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some tips to catching Bullheads in a slow moving crick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are some tips to catching Bullheads in a slow moving crick?

What are some tips to catching Bullheads in a slow moving crick?

Each year me and my best friend do a frog and turtle hunt the weekend after the fourth of July. We camp out and live entirely off the grid for two days. This year we have a new tool to throw into the equation, a 15 foot canoe. We will be heading into the back reaches of the crick and staying for two days. With the gear we now have to pack in (usually just camp in the backyard) we can only fit a small cooler with the tent and everything else in the canoe. This translates to taking the bare essentials for food rations, eggs, bacon, bread, and about 5 gallons of water. A big old whiskerfish would be a nice addition to frog and snapper meat.

Comment

Sounds like a fun trip, and I wish I could help, but bullheads are outside my experience. Have a great time and be safe.

Comment

Up here in Maine we have some Brown Bullhead(hornpout). I've always found a worm(or lacking that fish entrails) on a bobber or just bounced along the bottom works well. The bobber is dependent on how deep a stream you've got.

Comment

Night crawlers fished on the bottom will do the trick.

Comment

Thank you guys for the advice. We will be leaving around noon on Friday and returning sometime Sunday. Since we launch from my backyard I am thinking of staying until Tuesday Morning.

Comment

When fishing in rivers for cats, I use a slip or egg type sinker above a swivel and then 18-24" leader to the hook. I use only Gamagatsu full circle hooks now. They hook the cat's lip on the way out instead of lodging in it's throat where it's difficult to remove.

Comment

Smitty, How did your camping trip go? Did you catch any cats?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget