Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the best way to humanely kill a bluegill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the best way to humanely kill a bluegill?

Whats the best way to humanely kill a bluegill?

Bite off it's head?

Comment

Lethal injection won't work if you plan to eat it. If you tried electrocution, I suppose you'd have to dip it in batter first. I think a firing squad would be too expensive if you caught a whole mess of them.
      Seriously tho, clip the spine with the tip of your fillet knife right before cleaning them is the only thing I can think of.

Comment

1stick of dyno

Comment

Funny answers, where exactly is the spine?

Comment

Dynamite is too expensive. Have you tried talking them into committing suicide?

Comment

Have you tried drowning them?

Comment

Was this a serious question? I'm sorry I was being sarcastic. If you had some way to instantly scramble or remove it's brain, I believe it would still wiggle just as much while you fillet it. Also, attempting to hold on to it while inserting a knife into the bony parts of a bluegill sounds like a good recipe for stitches. Most of us just go ahead and fillet them. With enough practice, it only takes about 20 seconds per fish, and they die fairly quickly during the process.

Comment

Gently suffocate the fish by putting it in the cooler with some ice. It's amazing how quickly they stop flopping, and soon the little bluegill angels will flutter down and carry it off to fish heaven.

Comment

I would say either drowning or bite the head off. On a serious note, i have always just taken the backside of my knife and given them a hard smack on the spine directly behind the eyes. They stiffen up and twitch a little but they dont flop while i am filleting.

Comment

Hey! How come I got a bunch of minus points and MNwhitetailHunter didn't? I even apologized! There's no way anyone could tell that my apolgy wasn't heartfelt!

Comment

ok ill try those next time

Comment

smack it on the back of the head and then cut the throat. Works all the time!

Comment

Stangulation? Sorry, I couldn't resist that one.

Comment

Salt, pepper, flour and peanut oil around 350 degrees gets them everytime.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Outdoor Life archives
                                by Scott123
                                Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                                Yesterday, 11:23 PM
                              • Blade Stain
                                by jhjimbo
                                Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                                Yesterday, 11:40 AM
                              • Home Defense
                                by jhjimbo
                                If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                                10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                              • Pay it forward
                                by fitch270
                                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                                10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                              • Reloading Gear Order
                                by fitch270
                                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X