Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are the best places for big sunfish/bluegills that are breeding, and what are the best lures? I caught a 15oz sunny and I'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the best places for big sunfish/bluegills that are breeding, and what are the best lures? I caught a 15oz sunny and I'

Where are the best places for big sunfish/bluegills that are breeding, and what are the best lures? I caught a 15oz sunny and I'm not sure if there are any bigger ones in the same place.

They like a gravel bottom to bed (spawn) on and will bed in water from eighteen inches deep to ten feet or more. They like shade, too, when they can find it. When not on the bed, they hang out around some sort of cover during the day and venture out to feed early and late when there is less light for the predators, such as bass, to see them. They like lily pads, weed beds and brush tops. A one pound sunfish or bluegill is a big'un.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have seen many huge pound or so fish just outside of a cluster a beds. I have been using a wet fly to produced strikes, but they are very wary.

Comment

bigbassboy1---Remember, if you can see them, they can see you and that makes them even more wary. Be sneaky and fish early and late. You might try a Beetle Spin. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget