Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK, I want to start flyfishing and don't know where to start. I do not know anybody who fly fishes, and I want to start ASAP. I'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, I want to start flyfishing and don't know where to start. I do not know anybody who fly fishes, and I want to start ASAP. I'

OK, I want to start flyfishing and don't know where to start. I do not know anybody who fly fishes, and I want to start ASAP. I'm not looking for the best gear possible. I just want a setup to get me started. I was wondering if there are videos or what. And if you live in the Black Hills,SD area I would pay $$ to learn to fly fish!

Back when I worked for Lew Childre the way I was taught to cast was with a seventy five cent cane pole and a 20 foot piece of knitting yard tied to the tip. I had to learn to keep the loop during the cast real tight and uniform. Once I had the motions of casting down to where it was just automatic, then I got a split bambo pole and reel. I had to learn and practice how to retrieve next. I finally did get to the point that I could fly cast good enough to be able to demonstrate the basics but I was too involved with baitcaster and rod design to continue. I never had to do a lot of fly fishing because I always had experimental baitcasters that would cast light weight flies. But I still go to the fly rod to cast extremely long distances with a very light fly to catch snook.

Comment

Cabelas sells some very nice starter kits which include poles, reels, tackle, flies, and a very informative DVD for fisherman of all skill levels.

Comment

The Orvis Company not only sells fly fishing equipment across all price ranges they also hold schools- Many are regional and key on the regional tactics and equipment- and after you get a hang of it you can decide on how much you want to spend on your gear- I learned how to fly fish back in the 60s as a young lad- fly fishing was relatively unique to most anglers- I had to read voraciously from the school library which had several really good books on it, watched the Greatest flyfisherman Lee Wulff on every outdoors TV program I could. I then progressed into fly tying with a very understanding Grandmother who know what to get me on birthdays (my first fly rod was tubular steel and a single action reel and a Cortland level fly line and knotted mono for leaders) I was a killer on local pan fish progressing to a Wright McGill 8 weight as a preteen and now have numerous rods of 4 to 9 weights and reels- still tie my own flies and thrilled when a Coho hits a Crystal Shrimp pattern and it tail walks when fishing in Alsaka ( I even taught some Bosnians I worked with when deployed 10 years ago to Bosnia for three years how to fly fish ) I hope you get the lessons and enjoy a great past time (must admit it's more than a past time now)

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
          by fitch270
          Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
          Yesterday, 08:27 PM
        • Unusual Sound
          by jhjimbo
          At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
          Yesterday, 02:17 PM
        • bedding on new rifle
          by Amflyer
          Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
          Yesterday, 12:22 AM
        • Pictures blocked when logged out?
          by fitch270
          Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
          09-24-2020, 08:57 PM
        • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
          by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
          09-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X