Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have any suggestions on rod and reels that work great for Northern Pike and Muskie fishing? I'm looking to get a new reel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have any suggestions on rod and reels that work great for Northern Pike and Muskie fishing? I'm looking to get a new reel

Anyone have any suggestions on rod and reels that work great for Northern Pike and Muskie fishing? I'm looking to get a new reel, possibly a Abu Garcia® Ambassadeur® Classic C3 reel. Is that a good reel? I have a ugly stick rod but I don't like it, it is to bendable. I'm looking to spend $100 and under for each one.

I've used Ambassadeur reels for decades and have always found them to be rugged and reliable, and that's in salt water which is tough on any tackle.

Comment

I like the US Reel SuperCaster baitcast reels. I used Pflueger Supreme's in the late 50's and early 60's. Then I went to the Abu Ambassadeur 5000's until the early seventies. Then the Heddon Mark IV was my reel of choice until I helped design the BB1. It was built by Shimano and I still use one on special occasions. I own Revo's, Calcutta's and many more reels. Now my favorite is the SuperCaster 1000 series. They have the best levelwind system on any reel today.

Comment

I use the larger Ambassador C3's for muskie. My muskie rods are Cabela Tourney Trails.

Comment

I bought a Ambassador c3, and I watched tips online on how to use bait casters. But on my third cast I got a back lash. Anyone have any tips for using bait casters. I know you need to adjust the tension by using the knob on the side. Also i like to cast and reel a lot, instead of throwing a bobber and letting the fish bite. Would a spinning reel be a better choice. If so any suggestions.

Comment

I have an ugly stick & would NEVER settle for anything else. I have always had great luck with my rod & I also have a new baitcasting reel from BPS(Bass Pro Shops). The reel is a CatMaxx CM3. it casts really smooth, winds fast & smooth, average cast for me is about 50 - 75 feet. the accuracy is like that of a sniper rifle...time & time again.
            HOWEVER, if this is your first baitcasting reel, I advise you to practise extensively FIRST. see the spool on the reel keeps sending out line even AFTER the lure hits the water. The only way to stop this from happening, is to use your thumb against the spool. Notice I said the spool & not the line on the spool.

If you go to Field & Stream's website, look up a guy named Santa; he can tell you more about baitcasting reels than I ever could. I think it's what he does for a living. The guy is extremely knowledgable about fishing & its gear.

BUT I STRESS, unless you have experience with baitcasting reels, you need to practise A LOT. I was practising every day for about 2 weeks before I used it for fishing for catfish.

Comment

oh I forgot to mention, I paid $60.00($59.99) for the reel...plus commission for congress of coarse.

Comment

If you already have experience in baitcasting I would recommend investing in a high end baitcasting reel instead. In my experience, once I got used to baitcasting with a cheap reel, I immediately jumped to expensive baitcasting reels. I've never had any issues with my abu garcia revo sx since I bought it. The price was worth it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Gun cleaning patch tip
                  by fitch270
                  So I’m reorganizing the gun bench and notice the mock turtleneck shirt I’ve kept around for cutting into cleaning patches. Good 100% cotton fabric...
                  Today, 03:36 PM
                • 6.5-284 Borden/Alpine clone XP works great in the field - 588 yards
                  by Ernie
                  Dan Ekstrom and I have been looking for a shooter mule deer buck on public land.

For this area, Tuesday was the last day.

Yesterday, 10:06 AM
                • Outdoor Life archives
                  by Scott123
                  Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                  10-23-2020, 11:23 PM
                • Blade Stain
                  by jhjimbo
                  Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                  10-23-2020, 11:40 AM
                • Home Defense
                  by jhjimbo
                  If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                  10-20-2020, 02:15 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X