Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any ideas on how I can get my two girls(8 and 9) more into fishing. My wife and myself like to fish, we have a 14' boat to take

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bass bomber
    replied
    I remember when I started fishing, it was boring. I agree with cgull, go somewhere close with lots of bluegills and dont spend all day there.

Leave a comment:

• featherfisher
    replied
    My granddaughter was at that age when she took to fishing but we never pushed her- She watched Grandma and picked it up- however,she was never far from some small handheld video game-there are a lot of them out there- Take them to Bass Pro/Cabela's/Gander Mountain or other major sports provider and look at the youth oriented fishing games- may be a worthwhile investment- after the game they may like the for real- my daughter (her mom) never really did pick up on it

Leave a comment:

• pineywoods
    replied
    Cgull, fritz and MWN have good advice, and that leads me, along the same lines, to speculate that a 14 foot boat might get a little crowded with four people in it. As fritzthecat said, try a pond and make a picnic out of it. Of course, you could always use that as an excuse to get a bigger boat.

Leave a comment:

• MN Outdoorsman
    replied
    Teach them about the fish, ducks, eagles, forests, lilly pads, history of lakes, the way Native Americans used to paddle the lakes in birch bark canoes etc. Make it more that just fishing. I myself can get bored fishing at times especially if it's slow but when my mind wanders about those things I find that I'm out a lot longer. Keep their short attention spans entertained.

Leave a comment:

• Fritz Dreyer
    replied
    wi_hunter just try taking them to a small pond somehwere close to you, no need to make a big ordeal out of it going out on the boat every time. that way you can quit easy if they want to. As cgull said don't force them, but the Bluegill or Perch are a good start. They bite easy and are usually very plentiful in small ponds and you can even get a Bass once in a while. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Cgull
    replied
    Don't push em, let em fish 15 mins then do whatever they like. Making or asking them to fish longer can make them resent fishing, keeping their fishing times shorter might make them want to fish longer.

Leave a comment:

• Any ideas on how I can get my two girls(8 and 9) more into fishing. My wife and myself like to fish, we have a 14' boat to take

Any ideas on how I can get my two girls(8 and 9) more into fishing. My wife and myself like to fish, we have a 14' boat to take out on the lake. We can usually find some pan fish for them to catch, but after about a half hour they get sick of fishing and want to go back in.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
    by dewman
    So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
    Yesterday, 10:12 PM
  • Now That's Service
    by jhjimbo
    Had my local Jeep dealer mount two tires and rotate some. When they did that they also spray painted my rims to cover up some brake dust stains I could...
    Yesterday, 07:57 PM
  • Lost some cover; pic heavy
    by fitch270
    ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
    09-19-2020, 06:07 PM
  • Covid-19
    by jhjimbo
    Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
    09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
  • Spur of the moment rifle
    by Amflyer
    I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
    09-17-2020, 11:25 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X