Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Say I catch a large possible record fish this summer. My inner ethical sportsman tells me to release it so it can lay lot's of e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Say I catch a large possible record fish this summer. My inner ethical sportsman tells me to release it so it can lay lot's of e

Say I catch a large possible record fish this summer. My inner ethical sportsman tells me to release it so it can lay lot's of eggs just like the signs say to do. But what do I have to do to qualify for the books? Videotape it being weighed? Does a cheap little tackle box scale work? I'm figuring also take it's measurements. Or is the only way to qualify it is by keeping it, therefore killing it, and sending it in?

I have been fishing since I was old enough to hold a pole in my hands and sit still in my fathers boat. My first big fish did not mean much to me and I may have even caught a record fish in my time. But that is not important, just the catching of fish is enough satisfaction for me. I have never personally had a fish mounted, and I have caugh some that would have made fine mounts. I only take the amount of fish that I plan to eat or share. So I never set out with the intentions to catch a record fish and my ego does not need to. I do not need my name in a record book. I fish just for me and that is all that matters. I pratice catch and release sometimes and catch and keep others. I tend to release larger fish of a given species because the smaller younger fish taste better to me. In short, I fish to feed my belly not my ego.

Comment

I dont think he was trying to feed his ego, I think he was just asking an understandable question. all it was was a question then you start to infer that all he fishes for is his ego. if he was so obsessed with his ego he would just kill the fish and get his name in a book; Instead he is trying to find a way where he does not have to kill the fish so it can breed more. Getting your name in a book isnt a a bad thing at all I dont know why when someone asks a question about a record book or something they get negaive feedback its just someone wanting to know more infromation about something. lets not dis things that our in the hunting and fishing industries we all love and have been apart of since we were born.

Comment

I am sorry I came off so strong. I am just kinda tired of people that think everything is a game where you have to beat everyone else. It is wonderful to just be able to do what we do in this free country. Enjoying the freedom to fish and hunt is something that we just seem to take for granite, but it can be taken away with something as simple as the stroke of a pen. Just enjoy it for what it is. I worked for a fishing tackle company in the seventies and I was both expected and paid to be an excellent fisherman. The push to fish almost every day and to do well spoils the simple thrills of just plain fishing for self satisfaction. My theory now is just take a good picture of the fish to show a few friends and throw it back or take it home for food. I do not match mysel against others and do not care who catches the biggest fish or the first fish of the day. It just does not matter to me. I am a winner every time I just get to go fishing. I am just as proud of a minnow as a lunker or even no fish at all, just that I was out fishing. Remember you can fish pretty much 24 hours a day, 365 days a year so it is a sport that is not seasonal nore out of the reach of the average person. And just like proceration, you do not have to be good at it to enjoy it.

Comment

I am a huge fan of catch and release. Rarely do I even keep fish for a shore lunch. I don't even know what the records are in my state. The few times I get out fishing every year it's simply for fun and love of the outdoors.I was just curious about the whole process of getting fish recorded. I don't imagine I will ever have the opportunity to do so or want to but was just curious cause as everyone knows every t.v. show out there is about catching huge fish so I was just wondering is all. Anybody know the answer?

Comment

Guess I was just thinking about that monster Bass taken out of Japan that I believe tied the world record. It took a long time to verify it's weight. I'm pretty sure he had to have officials do the recording on it therefore it was not released. I also remember up in Ontario a record muskie that was caught and released I Believe on Lac Seoul that qualified so was just kinda scratching my head about the technicalities. Even if someone is the biggest anti record book fisherman out there I bet if they pull in a potential record fish they would be having the "what if world record" thoughts.

Comment

MWK, If you do catch a fish that you think is a record, call your closest newspaper. They love good stories and will help you to get in touch with the correct people in your area just for the story. The state you are in will have its own rules of how the fish must be handled and the newspaper people will have a sporting editor on staff that can be usually notified 24/7 and help with the necessary procedures.

Comment

Santa, was your post deleted. I don't see anything wrong with what's above.

Comment

you have a good point. i would probably put it is some sort o container that i can fit in with the same water you just caught it from then contact the state wildlife departmen for further instructions

Comment

Contact your states game and fish for instructions. The fish will have to be weighed (on a certified scale, post office works nicely), measured and witnessed by a state official. I think it is a big moment especially for our younger generation to catch a 3.7 pound tilapia for example have it weighed and then get their name in the book for a few months/years. If you think you have a record, try your best to keep the fish alive if you plan on releasing it or donating to a conservation program. A large Ice chest with an areater will help, two areaters are better. Make a few phone calls (or google on your smart phone)to see if you're anywhere close to breaking a record before doing anything. bass pro takes and cares for record fish, will put them in their big fish program where their eggs can make it back to the wild for years to come and might be put on display in one of their stores.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Outdoor Life archives
                      by Scott123
                      Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                      Yesterday, 11:23 PM
                    • Blade Stain
                      by jhjimbo
                      Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                      Yesterday, 11:40 AM
                    • Home Defense
                      by jhjimbo
                      If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                      10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                    • Pay it forward
                      by fitch270
                      I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                      10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                    • Reloading Gear Order
                      by fitch270
                      I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                      10-17-2020, 08:31 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X