Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've never been smelting before, anyone know what kind of rig or set up you need to go smelting, or any tactics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buckshott00
    replied
    They used to call it smelt dipping, but I don't think it's legal in MI anymore, or maybe it's still legal in the UP. Populations have been dying off, I don't know what a Maine setup is like, if they still allow dipping in Maine I would love to do it.
    There are line and hook rigs often with many lines and tiny hooks

Leave a comment:

• MLH
    replied
    We call that smelt dipping in Michigan - seine or net and a five gallon pail. Check what's legal.

Leave a comment:

• Derik Lee
    replied
    I want to do some brook and river smelting once it starts up, but i've never been before.

Leave a comment:

• haresear
    replied
    You did not say what type of smelting you are going to do. Smelt run up the rivers to spawn in the spring and many people net them at night when they run heavy. On northern inland lakes smelt are caught through the ice, use a small hook and a minnow. The use of a 12 volt light lowered into the water will help light up the ice and help draw the fish to your bait. I've done both many times and either way it's a lot of fun and the smelt are great to eat!

Leave a comment:

• I've never been smelting before, anyone know what kind of rig or set up you need to go smelting, or any tactics?

I've never been smelting before, anyone know what kind of rig or set up you need to go smelting, or any tactics?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget