Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know that fresh salmon is poison to dogs. Is Kokanee salmon also deadly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know that fresh salmon is poison to dogs. Is Kokanee salmon also deadly?

I know that fresh salmon is poison to dogs. Is Kokanee salmon also deadly?

Never heard that. Wild canines eat salmon as do my huskies, have been for generations. Were did you get this info?

Comment

Charlie,it is true salmon poisoning is caused by salmoids carry a parasite called Neorickettsia- Helminthoeca,a nasty bugger that causes severe intestinal distress.If left untreated it kills in 7-10 days.
      I had heard that raw salmon can be made safe for canine consumtion if it has been frozen for a period of time,but I'm not risking it to find out.

Comment

Hey guys,
        Yes, any salmon can cause the issue (especially freshwater and Pacific, as well as a few others), but if you, as bigjake pointed out, freeze it or cook it, it can be safe to eat. Canines are the only ones susceptible to this issue; not bears, cats, etc. I contacted a vet friend of mine to get the answers and will do a blog on it later today...

Comment

Yikes thanks for the info, fortunately the only salmon we get here in central WI is frozen! That's our version of fresh.
          I've seen wolves in AK eat salmon left on the banks by bears and have never found a dead one around the streams. Are they immune?
          later,
          charlie

Comment

land cruiser thanks very much for posting this. I appreciate greatly.
            later,
            charlie

Comment

Hey guys, here is the promised blog post on the topic:

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-dogs/2010/07/dogs-and-salmon-poisoning

Hope that helps!

B

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Outdoor Life archives
                by Scott123
                Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                Yesterday, 11:23 PM
              • Blade Stain
                by jhjimbo
                Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                Yesterday, 11:40 AM
              • Home Defense
                by jhjimbo
                If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
              • Pay it forward
                by fitch270
                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
              • Reloading Gear Order
                by fitch270
                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X