Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the lowest draw strength you need to bowfish carp? how much is the setup minus the bow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the lowest draw strength you need to bowfish carp? how much is the setup minus the bow?

What is the lowest draw strength you need to bowfish carp? how much is the setup minus the bow?

Any bow with a 40 pound draw weight or above should do, however 50 pounds would be better. You'll need a barbed arrow, around 50ft of heavy line, and a spool to hold that line neatly on your bow. There are bowfishing kits sold on-line or maybe if you're lucky at a nearby walmart. They usually run at about $30 or so. More expensive gear is available but this should be enough to get you started. Hope this helps and good hunting!

Comment

Assuming you are shooting the traditional fiberglas arrow then 40 lb pull should be good for fish at the surface.

At 40 lbs your arrow will plane in deeper water. You'll need at least 50 lbs for fish 2-3 feet deep.

Don't go over 60 lbs or you'll discover burying your arrow deep into the mudd is a pain in the rear.

Comment

I would say 40.

Comment

Bit of an old question but even a 35# recurve will work just fine for the average new shooter. The 40# is about perfect in my opinion for most bowfishing. It'll give you more than enough power for shooting 2-3 feet deep at full draw. I've never used a recurve heavier than 40# for bowfishing and never had issues with shooting deeper fish. You can easily penetrate most shallow fish with a short draw and the deeper the fish, the longer the draw. Gar are basically armored so they take a bit more stroke than other types. That's the beauty of the recurve. You can adjust the power of each shot simply by adjusting how far you draw back. I'm a big fan of the Oneida bows also because you get all the benefits of a compound and a recurve in the same bow. It's also great for snap shooting which doesn't work well with normal compound bows. Had to sell mine long ago when life went south on me. Wish I could afford another. Anywho, hope this helps anyone looking to get into bowfishing. It's ridiculously fun and a great way to fling arrows all year long.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X