Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What gear would i need to go bowfishing besides a bow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What gear would i need to go bowfishing besides a bow?

What gear would i need to go bowfishing besides a bow?

For bow fishing, obviously the bow - many people prefer a recurve instead of a compound because it's much easier to get off a quick shot. You're going to need a few fishing arrows - they have some sort of harpoon point to keep the arrow from pulling back through the fish, they have a release mechanism once you land the fish. You'll need some sort of spool & line, some are as simple as an open spool, that you hand wind as you pull the fish in or as sophisticated as a small rod & reel that attaches to your bow. Some people use their spinning outfit separately to land the fish. If you saltwater bowfish you might require a gaff, depending on your quarry.
    Be sure to test your equipment beforehand to ensure a happy outing.

Comment

The set-up I have, has the small rod and reel. The reel is a zebco 808 w/ 50 lb test. The arrows are fiberglass w/ a hole on each end, that way you can run the line all the way down the arrow. They make spear tips that are sing loaded, they work just like the mechanical broardhead.

Comment

buy a zebco 808 bowfishing reel and it will come with the line spooled on it
        buy 2 fiberglass fishing arrows and scrape the stupid vanes off them
        buy 3-4 muzzy osprey broadheads they are the best
        and you may need to buy a little bolt connector thing to hook the reel to your bow

Comment

Everything mentioned above is correct but I would make a couple points. Make sure to get a solid fiberglass fish arrow with a SLIDE that you attach your string to. Running the line down the arrow can cause problems and the slide eliminates the need to do so. It will save you many lost arrows because of string wear. What ever set up you choose remember to wear polorized sun glasses as they will cut the glare and are worth their weight in gold. Also, the fish are not where they seem to be in the water column. Refraction ( in this case, the change of direction of a ray of light)makes it seem like the fish is where you see it but it is actually much, much deeper than it looks. Make sure to aim much lower than where you think the fish is. It will take some practice as the angle will change from shot to shot but if in doubt, shoot lower. Have fun, it's a gas!

Comment

you should look into one of the pre-packaged kits for your bow, they're pretty inexpensive.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Outdoor Life archives
              by Scott123
              Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
              Yesterday, 11:23 PM
            • Blade Stain
              by jhjimbo
              Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
              Yesterday, 11:40 AM
            • Home Defense
              by jhjimbo
              If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
              10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
            • Pay it forward
              by fitch270
              I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
              10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
            • Reloading Gear Order
              by fitch270
              I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
              10-17-2020, 08:31 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X