Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I finished reading how wind on big lakes causes ice to rise and break even though it may be thick enough to bear your weight,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finished reading how wind on big lakes causes ice to rise and break even though it may be thick enough to bear your weight,

Safety on ice

Question space wouldn't, allow enough room to finish . Anyway the article explained how ice fisherman became trapped on break away ice floes.. Any insights on the subject may save a life ,anyone have an ice experience?

Comment

Deleted...

Comment

In Western Lake Erie basin large ice has broken off in years past with fishermen, huts, vehicles, etc. Had to be rescued by Goast Guard. Wind and currents can cause this to happen. Not sure how they recovered the vehicles and gear.
        We see pressure ridges snowmobiling frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
          Question space wouldn't, allow enough room to finish . Anyway the article explained how ice fisherman became trapped on break away ice floes.. Any insights on the subject may save a life ,anyone have an ice experience?
          My code has always been simple: Take zero chances, do absolutely nothing unless you're absolutely sure. Likelihood isn't good enough. And wear ice-grippers on a lanyard. PFD doesn't hurt, either.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
            In Western Lake Erie basin large ice has broken off in years past with fishermen, huts, vehicles, etc. Had to be rescued by Goast Guard. Wind and currents can cause this to happen. Not sure how they recovered the vehicles and gear.
            Isn,t the internet great? I looked up Port Clinton Jhjimbo,it certainly appears to be an interesting place,and not all that far from here.LOl ,I asked about walleye and it happens to claim it's self as the walleye capitol to the world. Many Thanks,I plan on talking about it with my fishing bud,maybe a spring trip. Regardless !I already had a trip planned to Mackinac Island end of June,it's an all day drive .. Port Clinton is about half way so now I plan on leaving a day earlier. I seen coast guard warnings there about the ice fishing. 23 rescue calls were made last week,with 3 deaths reported.

Comment

Yes I have spent most of my life ice fishing on Lake Superior. In general I don't fish on ice that forms a shelf but isn't protected by anything on the backside. Always pay attention to the wind. If the wind is blowing off shore or there is a storm over the lake pushing waves towards you I would not be there. And for Pete's sake, if you ever see somebody drag a boat out ice fishing with them either get out of there or become their new best friend!

Here's a link to the scariest example of ice breaking up that I know about. I know several of the people that regularly fish this area and stories from that day are terrifying. https://samcook.areavoices.com/2011/01/27/dramatic-rescue-of-ice-anglers-on-lake-superior/

Comment

Originally posted by DogGuy87 View Post
                Yes I have spent most of my life ice fishing on Lake Superior. In general I don't fish on ice that forms a shelf but isn't protected by anything on the backside. Always pay attention to the wind. If the wind is blowing off shore or there is a storm over the lake pushing waves towards you I would not be there. And for Pete's sake, if you ever see somebody drag a boat out ice fishing with them either get out of there or become their new best friend!

Here's a link to the scariest example of ice breaking up that I know about. I know several of the people that regularly fish this area and stories from that day are terrifying. https://samcook.areavoices.com/2011/01/27/dramatic-rescue-of-ice-anglers-on-lake-superior/
                That's an interesting read Dogguy ,Thx for your efforts, I hope these stories help caution others to dangers that aren't, always obvious

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                  The water flow from Detroit enters the Western basin and is split many ways buy the Islands. This causes various currents in the area. Some of the best Spring fishing is off Camp Perry in relatively shallow water over reefs. Sometimes they have artillery practice and you can't get in too close. The head boats know where the fish are. If there are four of you a guide would make sense. Around 4 to $500, some have half day charters. Pat Chrysler is a good one for ice fishing, Jerry Abele is top captain in the area - I have been out with Jerry 6 or 8 times and never disappointed. Walleye, bass, perch. (perch is down now and some boats will not book a trip) . https://fishingbooker.com/charters/search/us/OH?search_location=port-clinton&orderby=recommended&featured_id=&q=Port+Cl inton&booking_date=&booking_days=1&booking_persons =2&packageTypes%5B%5D=private&fishFilter%5B%5D=wal leye

Comment

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
                    Adirondack snowmobiling we get up to date lake ice conditions from the local bars and restaurants - they know on a day to day basis.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X