Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caught a 21-inch brown, just before dark last night -- biggest one in a while!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught a 21-inch brown, just before dark last night -- biggest one in a while!

Boy, this guy was a beauty. Dark yellow flanks, big black and red spots, slightly hooked jaw and nose. No photo -- I was fishing alone and wanted to get him back in the water right quick, after a fairly long fight. He was one thick and broad fish, too, almost a football shape. I was actually fishing for river walleye, using one of the bigger-sized floating Rapalas. Got a decent one of those, too, and a couple bruiser rock bass. Anyone else catching anything good lately?

Matt, About ten years ago, I caught nice brown trout in Lake Ontario. I have two photos shown below.
    Plus One for the posted thread. Keep the site moving. LMAO
    Thank you
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
      Matt, About ten years ago, I caught nice brown trout in Lake Ontario. I have two photos shown below.
      Thank you
      Very nice mounts. What's the story on the pig to the left?

Comment

Congrats Matt! What's the details of your fishing rig? I'm not much of a fisherman but want to do a little more this Fall. It seems I do better when using Rapalas.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
          Congrats Matt! What's the details of your fishing rig? I'm not much of a fisherman but want to do a little more this Fall. It seems I do better when using Rapalas.
          For wading the river, I just take along my light-action, five-foot Ugly Stik rod with a small Shimano spinning reel loaded with 6-lb. test in low-visability green color. Summer through fall, I do alright with floating Rapalas (I got that brown just twitching the lure on the surface of a still pool at the foot of a riffle, but get plenty of fish with just straight retrieves, too) and Rebel Wee Crawfish. Any kind of jig in crayfish or minnow colors work pretty well, too.

Comment

Thank you
            Nice fish, Gary. I've chartered some trips on Lake Ontario, though not in twelve or fifteen years. Springtime, the charters are always for the big browns near the mouths of the inlets, trolling the mudline in shallow water. One year we got a nice bunch of 8,9,10 lb. browns. Sometimes we'd find some cohos in those areas, too. I actually prefer those trips to the king salmon trips in late summer or early fall, just because the odds of simply catching a lot of fish are higher. According to the captains I fished with, anyway.

Comment

Thank you
              I have chartered in Lake Ontario for king salmon a few times - always caught fish. Also tried Pulaski years ago when it first started to be popular.

Comment

Thank you
                My pig hunt- I was in North Carolina bowhunting on a hill underneath a big high power electric line tower. I could hear the constant buzzing from the high voltage lines overhead. A little lower down the hill below me was a huge standing corn field. I was sitting on a log watching for pigs leaving the corn field.
                I heard a noise behind me and standing twentyfive yards away broadside was Mr. hog by himself.
                My Bear Polar Two compound bow shot perfect and I double lunged him. While I was gutting him out another smaller alone brown hog walked by me at thirty yards. Neither hog saw me in my woodland camouflage.

My brother, my brother-in-law and two hunting friends didn't even see a hog that trip.

Comment

Thank you
                  BTW, We stayed at a Holiday Inn and the hot days at noon we went back to swim in their pool. We butcher the hog on plastic laying across a truck tailgate. We also used a picnic table with five guys all cutting away. Wrapped the meat with freezer paper then covered it in plastic trash bags to keep it dry from all our free Holiday Inn ice from ice machine. We had plenty of Coleman coolers. We kept draining the water out of the coolers. We all shared the corn fed hog meat. I bet that trip was thirty years ago. I also shot a wild Tom turkey with my bow and arrow that same NC hunt. The hog and turkey were delicious.

The taxidermist is no longer living, and he told me to use the fake tucks and fake mouth because the real ones could split. He measured my hog's tucks and he kept my ivory. I was young and dumb didn't realize till later in life.

Comment

Thank you
                    Great story Gary! That must have been a fun trip. It's a rush to use a bow to drop a pig. I was told Taxidermist almost always use fake tusks in order to make the hog mount look more fierce. Pig teeth fall out fairly easily from a stripped and boiled skull. So, you either need to take the time to glue them in or use a fake mouth. Also, the base of the tusks are hollow and some people pull them, fill the hollow with epoxy, and then reinsert them into the jawbone. I can see where untreated tusks might crack over time so maybe that taxidermist was indeed treating you right. He shouldn't have kept the tusks though.

Comment

Thank you
                      Pighunter, Thanks, good information to know. Are the ivorys worth anything?
                      I am still wondering why he keep them?
                      BTW, it's amazing how an animal Mount can bring back fond memories. :-)
                      Non hunters just don't understand that.

Comment

Thank you
                        You can find pairs of tusks on eBay for about $40 so they really have minimum value except as a means of remembering a hunt. The taxidermist might have considered them not worth keeping. You're right about animal mounts bringing back fond memories. But they are expensive and take up a lot of wall space. I primarily use photos and keep a written log of my hunts.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X