Zebco xlr35?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zebco xlr35?

Among the stuff I got from my friend's house sale was an older rod and reel. I asked her how much she wanted for it, and she said just take it. The rod is a South Bend Concorde SST. I looked that up, and it appears to be pretty cheap. But the reel is a Zebco xlr35. I'm having a hard time finding info on it, other than it's fairly old. Anyone know anything about it?

One place says made from '73-'78. E-bay has 2. 1-$10 & 1-$15.
    Attached Files

Comment

Zebco is historically the Yugo of the fishing tackle world.
      My first spin cast setup was a Zebco "ZeeBee" 101. A guy at church took me bass fishing.
      We caught about 40 bass in the 2 to 3 pound range!
      Ground the drag in my Zebco 101 smooth as a baby's butt! LOL! So I went and bought another one!
      I think they were $3.95.
      I was working at the auction barn hustling weigh tickets from the ring to the office making 75 cents an hour. Probably made $2/$3 per auction.
      Rich man!

Comment

Yeah, they have always been a cheap reel, but if working there is still a use for it. One example being that we often use cheap rods/reels as an alternative to bank lines for catfish. Basically just as a beater setup that we aren't afraid to throw around. Also would be good for a pre-rigged bluegill or crappie setup..something you could just leave against a wall or in a car and not worry about it.

Comment

I come across a TON of Fishing gear, If it a Penn Reel any size I buy it, I have a Nam-Vet friend wheel bond that rebuilds them and sells them on ebay.

Comment

I think it comes from their Langley purchase in the 60's. They wanted to capitalize on the open face craze so they purchased Langley and their patents and adapted some of them.

Check the link below for more info.
            http://www.fishingtalks.com/zebco-spinning-reels-1962-to-mid-1980s-3812.html

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
              Zebco is historically the Yugo of the fishing tackle world.
              My first spin cast setup was a Zebco "ZeeBee" 101. A guy at church took me bass fishing.
              We caught about 40 bass in the 2 to 3 pound range!
              Ground the drag in my Zebco 101 smooth as a baby's butt! LOL! So I went and bought another one!
              I think they were $3.95.
              I was working at the auction barn hustling weigh tickets from the ring to the office making 75 cents an hour. Probably made $2/$3 per auction.
              Rich man!
              Bubba, I think most of us in my family started out with Zebo reels.

Comment

Originally posted by JM1993 View Post
                Yeah, they have always been a cheap reel, but if working there is still a use for it. One example being that we often use cheap rods/reels as an alternative to bank lines for catfish. Basically just as a beater setup that we aren't afraid to throw around. Also would be good for a pre-rigged bluegill or crappie setup..something you could just leave against a wall or in a car and not worry about it.
                Great point JM. A beater rod and reel is usually what I take when fishing from a canoe.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                  I come across a TON of Fishing gear, If it a Penn Reel any size I buy it, I have a Nam-Vet friend wheel bond that rebuilds them and sells them on ebay.
                  Treestand, thanks for mentioning Penn Reels and eBay. Country Road has suggested that I get a Penn for my shore fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
                    I think it comes from their Langley purchase in the 60's. They wanted to capitalize on the open face craze so they purchased Langley and their patents and adapted some of them.

Check the link below for more info.
                    http://www.fishingtalks.com/zebco-spinning-reels-1962-to-mid-1980s-3812.html
                    Great article, thanks for providing the link!

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                      One place says made from '73-'78. E-bay has 2. 1-$10 & 1-$15.
                      Certainly looks cheaply made, doesn't it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget