Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your opinion on a person keeping legal bass and other sport fish from a state/public lake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your opinion on a person keeping legal bass and other sport fish from a state/public lake?

I know this may ruffle some feathers, so please read what happened before commenting, but a buddy of mine and I drove down to table rock lake recently to do some trolling for walleyes/bass and I just happened to catch my PB(pictured), but as a result of fairly deep water and the bass getting hung in trees for a decent amount of time, once to the boat it just never acted right. We did everything we could to bring the life back into this fish, but just couldn't do it. When we realized there was no way the bass would survive my friend wanted to get it weighed at a nearby marina, and a group of men(all well over 60 years old) decided to call us every name in the book for killing a trophy fish. Attempting to explain to them what happened proved to be a total waste of time. And honestly I feel bad about the whole situation. I would've loved to see the fish swim away, but even in hindsight I can't think of anything different that we could've done to help the fish survive. Obviously this is a rare scenario, but how do you feel in general about keeping bass and other game fish? Would you ever justify yelling at someone for keeping a legal fish?
    Attached Files

If any wants a reference to guess the weight of the fish I am a solid 6'3. And as a 2nd hint the bass measured in at over 25 inches.

Comment

It looks like a seven pound bass to me?
      Most fishermen take measurements and release their fish.
      I caught a nice Wahoo in Kona, Hawaii. The boat captain took photos and measurements. He also faxed my fish info to my taxidermist. We did not release my Wahoo because they are excellent to eat.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
        I caught a nice Wahoo in Kona, Hawaii. The boat captain took photos and measurements. He also faxed my fish info to my taxidermist. We did not release my Wahoo because they are excellent to eat.
        Damn, must've picked a bad picture since it's over 7 pounds. There's no trickery in this photo...that fish is only a few inches from my chest. And if it had gone to plan we would've just taken a picture and let her go without even worrying about the weight.

Comment

jm, when i first look at your bass it's a solid 10.75 lb, and good for you!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
            Sorry there JM, no offense intended. My bear hunting friend has a seven pound-er largemouth mounted and it looked liked his fish.
            I'm better on black bear weights. :-)

Comment

I've fished that lake a couple dozen times as it's fairly close to me. I've got absolutely no problem with what you did. Two thumbs up on your bass? There are some old farts who hang at the lake and act like it's their private farm pond. They treat everyone like they are illegals and they act like they know every big fish, no matter the species, by its first name. I almost bet I know those fellas. They wouldn't know me as dewman and I'm not wanting to give out my real name otherwise I'd tell you to tell them shut their holes. I'm sorry you were treated that way. It's YOUR fish and YOUR choice(within the law) what you do with it.

Comment

You did absolutely nothing wrong. Anyone who wants to keep a legal fish should do so, and not feel bad about it. In my opinion, the people who are religious about only practicing catch-and-release are nuts. I understand the rationale behind releasing the big fish, but some folks take it way too far. The way I see it, your only mistake was in trying to reason with those guys. I'd have just ignored them and walked away.

Congratulations on your bass, BTW! I'm no good at all at guessing fish weights (unless we're talking carp, lol), but I'd put it at 11lbs. You gonna have it mounted?

Comment

You were completely in the right. Sounds like those guys are a bunch of arrogant blowhards. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were never particularly good fishermen themselves. I don't think it can ever be justified, giving someone a hard time outdoors, when everything is done legally and safely. There's obviously an over-arching code of ethics for all hunting and fishing, but underneath that, each has his or her own code, and I think there has to be room for variations. I think allowing for others' personal codes is one of the things that really makes what we do a worthy thing -- we don't all think in the same one-dimensional, sanitized fashion that so much of the world seems to be subject to nowadays.

Comment

The official weight was 10-8, so a couple of you came very close

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                      You did absolutely nothing wrong. Anyone who wants to keep a legal fish should do so, and not feel bad about it. In my opinion, the people who are religious about only practicing catch-and-release are nuts. I understand the rationale behind releasing the big fish, but some folks take it way too far. The way I see it, your only mistake was in trying to reason with those guys. I'd have just ignored them and walked away.

Congratulations on your bass, BTW! I'm no good at all at guessing fish weights (unless we're talking carp, lol), but I'd put it at 11lbs. You gonna have it mounted?
                      Made the correct answer the top post for weight. And I am not sure what I am going to do with the fish. I had a taxidermist(retired) family friend help me wrap it for the freezer and he said I had plenty of time to decide what to do since we stored it correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                        I've fished that lake a couple dozen times as it's fairly close to me. I've got absolutely no problem with what you did. Two thumbs up on your bass? There are some old farts who hang at the lake and act like it's their private farm pond. They treat everyone like they are illegals and they act like they know every big fish, no matter the species, by its first name. I almost bet I know those fellas. They wouldn't know me as dewman and I'm not wanting to give out my real name otherwise I'd tell you to tell them shut their holes. I'm sorry you were treated that way. It's YOUR fish and YOUR choice(within the law) what you do with it.
                        Yes...this is not the first time I've ran into this type of person at Table Rock. Still probably my favorite lake in MO. When one of the guys 25 year old trophy wife walked out I realized what a lost cause they all were, LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                          jm, when i first look at your bass it's a solid 10.75 lb, and good for you!!
                          You were the closest guess, and thank you.

Comment

First that's one beautiful fish! You did nothing wrong and the way you describe it , you did the most ethical thing! You will find no matter how hard you try your going to have the haters and opinionated idiots who think thier way is the only way!

Comment

Looks like a nice bass. First off stuff like that happens and will always happen. So at least you try to catch and release is always a plus in my book and it died so your not letting it go to waste. People are always going to stay stuff like that you just have to get better with your comebacks. Instead of trying to explain things to idiots like that. Make yourself look like an ahole that doesn't want to hear it they will back down haha. Remember is someone pushes you push them back. Don't feel bad

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X