Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the first fish you caught this year (2016?) Now that spring’s rolling in, curious to see how everyone’s season is starting off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JM View Post
    Heh, I've got you all beat it looks like. I'm sort of the opposite of HFT. I can't wait to have a rod and reel in my hands. I caught my first fish of the year on January 1st...was a bluegill. I'm mainly a bass fisherman, so that's what most of my days on the water consist of. Going to go trolling for stripers this weekend(striped bass to be specific before HFT jumps in with a responce to that).
    @DogSong,
    This winter stayed really warm...the lake I caught it on usually would've been frozen over, but it was not. I actually had to travel in order to do some ice fishing.

Comment

First fish I caught was a black crappie, than a yellow perch and well just look how me, 4 parents, and 6 other kids did
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Griffthebiggamehunter View Post
        First fish I caught was a black crappie, than a yellow perch and well just look how me, 4 parents, and 6 other kids did
        About 60 crappies and about 30 perch, not even close to meeting our limits but we had lots of fun

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
          I'll let you know when I catch it, lol. I'll be the first person to admit that I'm not a big rod-and-reel fisherman, although I bowfish almost every weekend from May through August. I'll probably get out redhorse fishing here in the next week or two, though.
          Honestly I would just set them out wherever you would have easy access to...rivers are a bit different, but you just have to find a good spot by eliminating the bad ones. As far as jugs go that's the rule on some of our lakes as well...people will set jugs out in the cove their dock is in and just sit on the dock hanging out. If a jug starts bobbing you go on over there.

Comment

My first was when I caught a nice string of sheepshead to 8# in the Gulf of Mexico. Not the same as the sheepshead from the Great Lakes---these are delicious.

Comment

That's a mess of tasty eating. Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by DogSong View Post
                Sigh. Sadly I'm still trying to catch my first fish of 2016. I've been out only a few times this year. Once in February for steelhead (boy that was fun) and twice in the past couple of weeks for spring pike fishing. Nothing but a big goose egg so far!
                Fishing with a fly rod is the only way to fish, love it dearly. Have not been out yet this year so no bad
                luck stories to cry about. My favorite fishing is when the bluegills are on the beds and that will be awhile
                yet. I love small stream trout fishing but I have to travel too far for that so it does not get done too often any
                more ! Good luck to the rest of you young puppies.

Comment

First fish through the ice this year was a landlocked salmon. Had a pretty difficult ice fishing season with such a mild winter in my area. First fish caught on a fly this year was a brook trout, nice fish in the neighborhood of 2.5lbs.

Comment

See...keeping that many fish is great until you are the one that has to clean them. Me and some friends once had to clean 120 hybrid striped bass all at the same time. Heck of a lot of meat, but also a giant pain in the butt.

Comment

Indeed. Filleting even 25 bluegills gets old for me.

Comment

I agree. I've been advised to get an electric fillet knife, by this guy I know who practically lives on perch and crappie, but haven't bothered yet. For a temporary measure, I'll just stick to my personal panfish limit of five or six. I've got one pond nearby that has a good number of 11-13 inch crappies, so I don't need to catch very many to have a good feed.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                          Heh, I've got you all beat it looks like. I'm sort of the opposite of HFT. I can't wait to have a rod and reel in my hands. I caught my first fish of the year on January 1st...was a bluegill. I'm mainly a bass fisherman, so that's what most of my days on the water consist of. Going to go trolling for stripers this weekend(striped bass to be specific before HFT jumps in with a responce to that).
                          Glad you're trolling for stripers, and not "strippers", as I see so often. Of course, "strippers" could be exciting, too.

Comment

I haven't personally dipped a line. Had the boy out over the weekend and he caught a couple of sunnies and a nice crappie. Neighbor's daughter came along with us who'd never fished before. Our combined efforts were for naught.

Comment

My first was a Brook. Prince Nymphs have done well & Slump Busters in olive. My Dad has been with me a lot this year & learning to love fly fishing!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X