Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever found anything interest while hunting/fishing or snagged anything cool while fishing? Reason I ask in first comment below.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PigHunter
    replied
    My parents found a dead man floating in the lake they were fishing. Apparently he had been down for about 18 months before surfacing.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by JM View Post
    Today while fishing a public pond I snagged a broken St Croix rod with a Shimano Curado still on it. My guess is that someone broke their rod and threw it in the water out of frustration....soaked the reel and cleaned it up and works pretty darn well for something that was underwater...don't think it was down there very long though. Obviously rod was no good, but I actually salvaged the rod seat and handle for another rod of mine.
    I have a friend that throws his shotgun when he gets angry. Then calms down and retrieves it from the field or woods, lol!

Leave a comment:

• Pathfinder1
    replied
    Hi..!!

Several years ago I was fishing for grayling in the headwaters of the Chena River above Fairbanks, AK.

While walking along the river, I noticed what appeared to be a part of a jacket cuff sticking out of a sand bar. I tugged on it, and pulled out a perfectly good Army field jacket...!!

In one front pocket I found several stainless steel snelled leaders w/swivels. In another pocket I found a handful of .44 Magnum shells...!!

I used the jacket for many years...but never had a clue as to why the jacket was there, or as to who the previous owner was...!!

Leave a comment:

• jcarlin
    replied
    Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
    Unfortunately I have never found any material things, but there have
    been a few times I was pretty excited just to "find" my way back to
    where I started. I have "found" that can relieve a lot of stress and in
    it's own way be quite a "find".
    I've definitely had some moments hunting and backpacking where I had to make a legitimate effort to take my bearings. There was a spot I used to bowhunt where I swore there was some kind of spatial rift. I'd walk down a utility clearing, cut up into the woods along a creek for a few hundred yards, veer away from the creek for a quarter mile or so, good funnel along a steep 60' ridge with a saddleback in it. Never once did I get back to the utility right of way by the same path I took in. I'd end up never hitting the creek in the dark and coming to the utility a few hundred yards away. Part of it was topography and the brush. In the dark some of the thickets that I cut through on the way in were a bear on the way out when you couldn't see each and every stalk of thorns. And the terrain weirdly bifurcated on that side of the creek and kept you turning away from it. I could swear at times the woods were turning me on purpose. Such are the thoughts when you're working your way out alone after dark.

Leave a comment:

• jcarlin
    replied
    Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
    Couple summers ago I found an old metal tacklebox on the shoreline of a state-land pond that gets fished pretty hard. It was full of rusted homemade spinners and old spoons. I think it was probably in the pond, maybe someone dropped it out of a boat years ago, and someone had found it when they were swimming or snagged it while fishing. When I was a teenager I found a weird-looking single-blade sheepsfoot Swiss Army knife on the bank of the river near my house. I still have that and use it all the time.
    Nah. Not even in my embellished memories of my childhood.

Leave a comment:

• huntfishtrap
    replied
    Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
    On warm spring days while turkey hunting the late season along the Mississippi. Skinny Dippers; sometimes interesting and at other times, too much information.
    Maybe that's it. I'll have to wander over to your side more often.

Leave a comment:

• charlie elk
    replied
    On warm spring days while turkey hunting the late season along the Mississippi. Skinny Dippers; sometimes interesting and at other times, too much information.
    You must be looking on the other side of the river, eh?

Leave a comment:

• JM
    replied
    Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
    No. I do have one irrational thing I always have half an eye out for.

The Jaryd Atadero (http://www.canammissing.com/jaryd-atadero.html)case has always haunted me. After his disappearance two fisherman admitted to meeting the 3 year old in the woods. He asked them if there were bears around. When they said no, they let him walk off. They were the last people to see him alive. I've been on trails and streams fairly out in it a few times where people have let small children wander so far you couldn't tell if they were alone, couldn't even hear anyone else in the area. I've developed the (possibly unnerving to parents) habit of engaging the kid in conversation by asking if they've done any fishing or seen any animals until someone comes along. I've cautioned parents, but you know how people are. And frankly, I'd look at me with suspicion too, if I was the kind of nitwit to let my 4 year old get a half mile ahead of me on a trail.

The idea of being in the position of those two fishermen is unbearable. Case impacts the marching order on my family hikes too.
    @jcarlin,
    Kind of like when people leave their child in a hot car. Some parents claim they literally had no intention, but some people will say that every time it happens it's 100% on purpose.

Leave a comment:

• huntfishtrap
    replied
    I spend a fair amount of time on the Mississippi, and I've never seen that. Must be looking in the wrong places, lol.

Leave a comment:

• jcarlin
    replied

The Jaryd Atadero (http://www.canammissing.com/jaryd-atadero.html)case has always haunted me. After his disappearance two fisherman admitted to meeting the 3 year old in the woods. He asked them if there were bears around. When they said no, they let him walk off. They were the last people to see him alive. I've been on trails and streams fairly out in it a few times where people have let small children wander so far you couldn't tell if they were alone, couldn't even hear anyone else in the area. I've developed the (possibly unnerving to parents) habit of engaging the kid in conversation by asking if they've done any fishing or seen any animals until someone comes along. I've cautioned parents, but you know how people are. And frankly, I'd look at me with suspicion too, if I was the kind of nitwit to let my 4 year old get a half mile ahead of me on a trail.

The idea of being in the position of those two fishermen is unbearable. Case impacts the marching order on my family hikes too.
    Yeah.. another "I can't imagine being in those shoes" moment.

Leave a comment:

• JM
    replied

@jcarlin,
    From another article it was a bunch of teens/adults that the father trusted. They said they were going to walk to a nearby location that the 3 year old would've been familiar with and the dad stayed at the lodge and fell asleep. The older members then decided to hike to a location that was like 20 miles away or something crazy without asking the dad. I'm sure the 3 year fell behind...I doubt he got ahead. The "singles" probably had their mind on...well the other singles...and forgot about the kid.

Leave a comment:

• charlie elk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jcarlin
    replied

I think a point is worth mentioning that it was a "singles" hike. And I thought originally his father was actually on the hike, but it seems that might not be the case.
    Go to a picnic area where there's a playground. Dad's are the guys who reflexive run over to any kid who happens to take a bad hit or fall, or even reflexively grabs the kid whos about to eat a pair of feet dangling from a swing. People who never were really directly responsible for a child, in a large group setting, have a way of assuming someone else is keeping and eye on kids. It's not their fault, their experience is someone else always was.

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied

I think the most disturbing thing here is that a 3 year old is by himself in the first place. If he was with a group
    of people, how could a 3 year old walk fast enough to get out of their sight ? And I can not imagine a 3 year
    old child thinking to ask "are there bears around here" to the fishermen. There are just too many things in this
    incident that don't add up, 3year old alone, fishermen who don't question that fact, a group of people who can't
    keep up with the speed of a three yr. old, questionable actions by authorities, the entire thing is mind boggeling
    to say the least. And at this point it will most likely never be solved big shame !

Leave a comment:

• huntfishtrap
    replied

I would assume that your friend was completely safe as long as you were there, but I can understand the apprehension, especially from a city girl. From what I read, it sounded like the boy was all by himself. If it's true that the fishermen saw the rest of the party at the same time as they were talking to the boy, then yes, that would change my opinion somewhat. I guess we'll probably never know for sure. I just don't know what to believe in cases like this. It's so easy for the facts to become distorted, even without anyone trying to hide something. Even if his death was due to something relatively straightforward like a mountain lion attack, that still doesn't explain some of the bizarre decisions made by law enforcement, or the kid's dad lying about them - whichever one is accurate.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Strangers meet.
    by 99explorer
    A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
    They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
    No identification markers...
    08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
  • OU football
    by FirstBubba
    Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
    The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
    08-16-2019, 10:35 PM
  • True romance.
    by 99explorer
    A doctor and a bus driver are both in love with the same woman, a beautiful girl named Sarah.
    The bus driver has to go on a long bus trip that will...
    08-16-2019, 09:11 AM
  • A question of standing.
    by 99explorer
    A man says to his father, "I'm standing behind you."
    The father replies, "And I am standing behind you, son."
    Could this...
    08-15-2019, 01:59 PM
  • Cashier problem.
    by 99explorer
    You are a cashier and owe a customer $41 change from a $50 bill.
    You have every denomination of paper currency in the drawer except $1 bills, and...
    08-14-2019, 03:39 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X