Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever found anything interest while hunting/fishing or snagged anything cool while fishing? Reason I ask in first comment below.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever found anything interest while hunting/fishing or snagged anything cool while fishing? Reason I ask in first comment below.

Ever found anything interest while hunting/fishing or snagged anything cool while fishing? Reason I ask in first comment below.

Today while fishing a public pond I snagged a broken St Croix rod with a Shimano Curado still on it. My guess is that someone broke their rod and threw it in the water out of frustration....soaked the reel and cleaned it up and works pretty darn well for something that was underwater...don't think it was down there very long though. Obviously rod was no good, but I actually salvaged the rod seat and handle for another rod of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
      Today while fishing a public pond I snagged a broken St Croix rod with a Shimano Curado still on it. My guess is that someone broke their rod and threw it in the water out of frustration....soaked the reel and cleaned it up and works pretty darn well for something that was underwater...don't think it was down there very long though. Obviously rod was no good, but I actually salvaged the rod seat and handle for another rod of mine.
      That reminds me of something that happened to my brother a few years ago. He was at a gas station filling his car when he happened to glance into the trash can that was beside the pump. In it were two rods, broken in half, with reels still attached. He fished them out, and the reels looked okay, so he took them. I don't know what brand the rods were because he didn't keep them, obviously, but one of the reels was a good, higher-end Zebco spincaster. I can't remember what brand the other one was, but it was a good reel as well. Both were in perfect condition, and functioned flawlessly. I've had a couple bad days on the water, but I can't begin to imagine how someone could get so mad that they'd break/throw away perfectly good equipment.

Comment

Most of the stuff I snag while fishing is decidedly uncool, such as rocks, logs, and myself. Lol
        I have found some interesting stuff while hunting and hiking. I've picked up a lot of fossils over the years, because I've always been interested in geology, so I keep my eyes open for that kind of thing. I found a couple of near-perfect specimens of fossilized coral last year while turkey hunting. Interestingly, they were on top of a 300-foot bluff. Not the kind of place you'd expect to find something like that.
        One time while shed hunting in the spring, I came the remains of an old trash heap. I'm guessing it was from the mid-20th century. There were all kinds of antique blue and green glass bottles and stuff, and I picked up one of the better-looking ones and took it home. After I cleaned it up, it looks pretty nice. Might even be worth a few bucks to the right person.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
          Most of the stuff I snag while fishing is decidedly uncool, such as rocks, logs, and myself. Lol
          I have found some interesting stuff while hunting and hiking. I've picked up a lot of fossils over the years, because I've always been interested in geology, so I keep my eyes open for that kind of thing. I found a couple of near-perfect specimens of fossilized coral last year while turkey hunting. Interestingly, they were on top of a 300-foot bluff. Not the kind of place you'd expect to find something like that.
          One time while shed hunting in the spring, I came the remains of an old trash heap. I'm guessing it was from the mid-20th century. There were all kinds of antique blue and green glass bottles and stuff, and I picked up one of the better-looking ones and took it home. After I cleaned it up, it looks pretty nice. Might even be worth a few bucks to the right person.
          Yeah, you could actually age the fossil based on how high up the bluff it was. I bet there are more there. I've found quite a few old bottles as well...some of those old whisky bottles/medicine bottles were pretty cool looking but they just used to toss them in the woods.

Comment

Had a friend who burned a $500 baseball glove that probably wasn't even broken in yet due to making a few errors in a game. Some people are dumb. And I hope you never go golfing, HFT. Some of those clubs break clubs like its a requirement.

Comment

My Sister was deer hunting and found a rifle in a case leaning up against a tree. The case fell apart, but inside was a beautiful Marlin lever action rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                My Sister was deer hunting and found a rifle in a case leaning up against a tree. The case fell apart, but inside was a beautiful Marlin lever action rifle.
                Interesting...every figure out anything on it?

Comment

Oh yeah, I knew I left that gun by the tree but with the excitment of shooting that 16 pointer I fully
                  forgot about it and then could not remember which tree it was. Maybe if I give you my address you
                  could have tour sister send it back to me.........

Comment

Unfortunately I have never found any material things, but there have
                    been a few times I was pretty excited just to "find" my way back to
                    where I started. I have "found" that can relieve a lot of stress and in
                    it's own way be quite a "find".

Comment

Man, you should've told your buddy to give you the glove instead of burning it. I don't watch golf much, but I remember one time seeing a pro try to break his club over his knee in frustration, only to fail spectacularly. I don't think he even bent it noticeably. It was pretty funny.
                      BTW, did you catch anything the other day - besides that rod and reel?

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                        There were tons of fossils in that area. It looked like something you'd see in National Geographic or something. I had to stop for lunch anyway, so I spent a while poking around in the leaves and rocks to see what I could find. I only took the best-looking couple though - I was a good 1 1/2 miles from the vehicle, and I didn't want to carry a bunch more weight, lol.
                        Funny you mention medicine bottles - the one I picked up was actually a milk of magnesia bottle. If I remember right, the lettering on it was legible enough that we were able to date it to the 1950s or 60s.

Comment

Hey, didn't you find an old model 70 once JM? Seems I remember you telling that story here years ago.

Comment

No. I do have one irrational thing I always have half an eye out for.

The Jaryd Atadero (http://www.canammissing.com/jaryd-atadero.html)case has always haunted me. After his disappearance two fisherman admitted to meeting the 3 year old in the woods. He asked them if there were bears around. When they said no, they let him walk off. They were the last people to see him alive. I've been on trails and streams fairly out in it a few times where people have let small children wander so far you couldn't tell if they were alone, couldn't even hear anyone else in the area. I've developed the (possibly unnerving to parents) habit of engaging the kid in conversation by asking if they've done any fishing or seen any animals until someone comes along. I've cautioned parents, but you know how people are. And frankly, I'd look at me with suspicion too, if I was the kind of nitwit to let my 4 year old get a half mile ahead of me on a trail.

The idea of being in the position of those two fishermen is unbearable. Case impacts the marching order on my family hikes too.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                              Unfortunately I have never found any material things, but there have
                              been a few times I was pretty excited just to "find" my way back to
                              where I started. I have "found" that can relieve a lot of stress and in
                              it's own way be quite a "find".
                              I don't know that I've ever gotten lost fishing. Hiking and hunting.. I've been turned around. Fishing.. I'm generally on the landmark.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Record Baseball Contract
                                99explorer
                                Infielder Manny Machado just signed a ten-year $300 million contract with the San Diego Padres.
                                I don't know how much he would have left after taxes,...
                                Today, 02:16 PM
                              • Fatalities Outdoors
                                MattM37
                                So far this season, snowmobiling and ice-fishing each have resulted in more fatalities in New York State than hunting did during the previous deer and...
                                02-14-2019, 07:58 PM
                              • Do boycotts work?
                                99explorer
                                Dicks' Sporting Goods decision in 2018 to ban the sales of AR-15-style rifles helped contribute to a 4.5% decline in sales in its hunting business....
                                02-11-2019, 05:15 PM
                              • New spring football league.
                                99explorer
                                What are your thoughts on the formation of this new professional football league that plays in the spring of the year?
                                It is called the Alliance...
                                02-10-2019, 02:33 PM
                              • Gun Review - Ruger American Rimfire Compact
                                PigHunter
                                Yesterday, I finally made time to go to the range to sight in my new Ruger American Rimfire Compact in .22lr with the Dead Air 'Mask' suppressor. I've...
                                02-09-2019, 11:27 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X