Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think that lead split shot and sinkers should be phased out in favor of those composed of non-toxic materials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JM
    replied
    Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
    Maybe I don't know that much about it hft, but I thought that lead was mostly
    a problem when it is ingested and I am not too sure that is so much of a problem
    with fish. But maybe there are other factors involved here that I am not aware
    of, such as causing damage to other things besides fish. I guess it depends
    on what might ingest lead sinkers. Maybe my ignorance is showing ??
    birds will often EAT them*...not sure why I typed inject.

Leave a comment:

• JM
    replied
    Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
    a problem when it is ingested and I am not too sure that is so much of a problem
    @bowhunter,
    These lead items damage birds more than fish. Fish will rarely eat lead fishing items by themselves, but birds will often inject them for their gizzard.

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied
    Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
    The reason I thought about this just now was because the other day I heard a guest on a local talk radio show say that he thought lead fishing tackle would eventually be made illegal, like lead shot has for waterfowl hunting. His reasoning was that waterfowl and other aquatic birds sometimes mistake lead split shot and sinkers for the gravel that they use to digest their food, leading to lead poisoning. I know that making fishing tackle out of lead isn't best, but the thought it possibly being banned took me by surprise a little bit. I must admit that I do use lead sinkers, spinners, etc., and never really give it a second thought. Here's a brief rundown of what they discussed: http://www.wpr.org/how-wisconsinites-may-be-unknowingly-harming-lakes-streams
    With the above comment being said, I can see there is a slight connection, just how much I am not sure. I
    can understand the built up of lead shot in a lake, there being probably thousands of them, but I am not so
    sure a few sinkers are the same thing ! There are probably things in our lakes that are more toxic than a few
    sinkers, but does that mean we should not do anything ? I don't know as if we can protect the world from each
    and every possible happening, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to give it a try !!!

Leave a comment:

• Gmuleman
    replied
    Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
    The reason I thought about this just now was because the other day I heard a guest on a local talk radio show say that he thought lead fishing tackle would eventually be made illegal, like lead shot has for waterfowl hunting. His reasoning was that waterfowl and other aquatic birds sometimes mistake lead split shot and sinkers for the gravel that they use to digest their food, leading to lead poisoning. I know that making fishing tackle out of lead isn't best, but the thought it possibly being banned took me by surprise a little bit. I must admit that I do use lead sinkers, spinners, etc., and never really give it a second thought. Here's a brief rundown of what they discussed: http://www.wpr.org/how-wisconsinites-may-be-unknowingly-harming-lakes-streams
    ?
    Absolutely lead should be banned.
    The science is in and lead kills.
    Just because we have always used lead does not make it ok.
    We have known since the 70's that lead shot built up in the bottom of lakes and ponds that were heavily hunted.
    Turns out that lead rifle bullets left in gut piles kills scavengers, birds and mammals. The evidence is in now, lead sinkers make their way into birds gizzards and kill them.
    We should not need a Big Government to have to step in and tell us to stop.
    It is a no brainer and there is no reason to argue other than sheer stubbornness.

Leave a comment:

• huntfishtrap
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JM
    replied
    It should be, but it wont be. Lead is cheap and readily available. Tungsten is fairly expensive and often only used by more serious anglers. I use both lead and other metals. If you go to a store to buy fishing equipment lead is in pretty much in everything, lol. I don't think that will ever change.

Leave a comment:

• Do you think that lead split shot and sinkers should be phased out in favor of those composed of non-toxic materials?

Do you think that lead split shot and sinkers should be phased out in favor of those composed of non-toxic materials?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget