Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think that lead split shot and sinkers should be phased out in favor of those composed of non-toxic materials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think that lead split shot and sinkers should be phased out in favor of those composed of non-toxic materials?

Do you think that lead split shot and sinkers should be phased out in favor of those composed of non-toxic materials?

It should be, but it wont be. Lead is cheap and readily available. Tungsten is fairly expensive and often only used by more serious anglers. I use both lead and other metals. If you go to a store to buy fishing equipment lead is in pretty much in everything, lol. I don't think that will ever change.

Comment

Maybe I don't know that much about it hft, but I thought that lead was mostly
      a problem when it is ingested and I am not too sure that is so much of a problem
      with fish. But maybe there are other factors involved here that I am not aware
      of, such as causing damage to other things besides fish. I guess it depends
      on what might ingest lead sinkers. Maybe my ignorance is showing ??

Comment

The reason I thought about this just now was because the other day I heard a guest on a local talk radio show say that he thought lead fishing tackle would eventually be made illegal, like lead shot has for waterfowl hunting. His reasoning was that waterfowl and other aquatic birds sometimes mistake lead split shot and sinkers for the gravel that they use to digest their food, leading to lead poisoning. I know that making fishing tackle out of lead isn't best, but the thought it possibly being banned took me by surprise a little bit. I must admit that I do use lead sinkers, spinners, etc., and never really give it a second thought. Here's a brief rundown of what they discussed: http://www.wpr.org/how-wisconsinites-may-be-unknowingly-harming-lakes-streams

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
          The reason I thought about this just now was because the other day I heard a guest on a local talk radio show say that he thought lead fishing tackle would eventually be made illegal, like lead shot has for waterfowl hunting. His reasoning was that waterfowl and other aquatic birds sometimes mistake lead split shot and sinkers for the gravel that they use to digest their food, leading to lead poisoning. I know that making fishing tackle out of lead isn't best, but the thought it possibly being banned took me by surprise a little bit. I must admit that I do use lead sinkers, spinners, etc., and never really give it a second thought. Here's a brief rundown of what they discussed: http://www.wpr.org/how-wisconsinites-may-be-unknowingly-harming-lakes-streams
          ?
          Absolutely lead should be banned.
          The science is in and lead kills.
          Just because we have always used lead does not make it ok.
          We have known since the 70's that lead shot built up in the bottom of lakes and ponds that were heavily hunted.
          Turns out that lead rifle bullets left in gut piles kills scavengers, birds and mammals. The evidence is in now, lead sinkers make their way into birds gizzards and kill them.
          We should not need a Big Government to have to step in and tell us to stop.
          It is a no brainer and there is no reason to argue other than sheer stubbornness.

Comment

With the above comment being said, I can see there is a slight connection, just how much I am not sure. I
            can understand the built up of lead shot in a lake, there being probably thousands of them, but I am not so
            sure a few sinkers are the same thing ! There are probably things in our lakes that are more toxic than a few
            sinkers, but does that mean we should not do anything ? I don't know as if we can protect the world from each
            and every possible happening, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to give it a try !!!

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
              a problem when it is ingested and I am not too sure that is so much of a problem
              @bowhunter,
              These lead items damage birds more than fish. Fish will rarely eat lead fishing items by themselves, but birds will often inject them for their gizzard.

Comment

birds will often EAT them*...not sure why I typed inject.

Comment

Oops, Should've read the other answers...my response has already been brought up.

Comment

In soft bottom Lakes and streams any lead would sink into the silt and be out of the reach of birds and fish.

Comment

In NY, lead sinkers weighing a 1/2-ounce or less have been illegal to sell for some years now. You can still use them if you happened to have some when the law was passed. I know that it's of special concern regarding the loons in the Adirondacks. I believe there are other states with this law in effect, and even others that have banned not just the sale but the overall use. I have no problem with it. At first I was kind of skeptical about how many birds were really ingesting the sinkers, but even if it is sort of a random thing, there's nothing wrong with remedying it if we can. Mostly what I find now in stores is tin split-shot and it works just fine, and there was no big jump in price.

Comment

Honestly I'd like to see lead out of nearly all our fishing gear. JM is right, it's amazing how much fishing stuff has lead in it. Not just sinkers but also lures, reels, even fishing rods!

I went to buy my nephew one of those "Spiderman" kids fishing rods for his birthday last year, and there was a lead warning on it. You know, the kind that says "According to the state of California..."

I asked some salesman there about it and he said apparently they still use lead paint in a lot of that stuff. But he said not to be too worried about it, it's just something those "crazy liberal Californians" require companies to tell you about. "So" I asked him, "does that mean lead only gives you cancer and birth defects if you're from California?" He just looked at me like I was the crazy one.

Comment

Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
                          In NY, lead sinkers weighing a 1/2-ounce or less have been illegal to sell for some years now. You can still use them if you happened to have some when the law was passed. I know that it's of special concern regarding the loons in the Adirondacks. I believe there are other states with this law in effect, and even others that have banned not just the sale but the overall use. I have no problem with it. At first I was kind of skeptical about how many birds were really ingesting the sinkers, but even if it is sort of a random thing, there's nothing wrong with remedying it if we can. Mostly what I find now in stores is tin split-shot and it works just fine, and there was no big jump in price.
                          I meant to add that I'm not worried about the lead in lures. I can see a duck or loon ingesting some split shot but not a #3 Panther Martin.

Comment

Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
                            I use spinners a lot, and that's the first thing I thought about when I heard this guy talking about a ban on lead fishing tackle. I've tried lead-free spinners, and they just don't work as well.

Comment

It's phased out a bit here. It's still on the shelves but if you stop in a gas station for an emergency tackle grab it's a coin toss as to whether or not the shot dialer will be lead.
                              I've wondered how much it matters.

As someone else mentioned, on a soft bottom, it's liable to settle to the core of the earth. On a hard bottom, it's very likely that the crevice which stole your sinker is never giving that up to a bird.

On the other hand, I'm a biter of split shot (and mono has ruined my front teeth). Not ingesting lead particles periodically probably would be better for me.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X