Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone willing to recomend what gear I should get for spear fishing under the ice, I am wanting to start and dont know what gear I should get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone willing to recomend what gear I should get for spear fishing under the ice, I am wanting to start and dont know what gear I should get

Anyone willing to recomend what gear I should get for spear fishing under the ice, I am wanting to start and dont know what gear I should get

Quite frankly it is a very dangerous sport, so there is no way you should do it without a very experienced person that can provide you with the necessary equipment. You will also probably need to take classes to do it all correctly. I do know what you need, but honestly I don't want to give you any advice without knowing that you will do it safely.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
      Quite frankly it is a very dangerous sport, so there is no way you should do it without a very experienced person that can provide you with the necessary equipment. You will also probably need to take classes to do it all correctly. I do know what you need, but honestly I don't want to give you any advice without knowing that you will do it safely.
      Is it really that much more dangerous than ice fishing? I don't know anything about it beyond what I've read.

Comment

I guess that depends on if you mean spearing through a hole from
        above the ice, or spearing with a spear gun below the ice. If your
        question pertains from under the ice, you will need much training
        and equipment, and I would think it would take someone with much
        experience to talk with. Good luck !

Comment

From the way I interpreted his questions I think he is referring to spearfishing UNDER the ice...as in diving under the ice, but maybe he does only mean spearing a fish through a hole.

Comment

To be honest, I've never heard of spearfishing under the ice. I thought he meant spearing through a hole in the ice. I could be wrong though.

Comment

@hft,
              Yes, it is a popular but dangerous hobby. Need special gear that allows for hot water to be pumped through your suit to keep you and your gear from freezing!

Comment

I,ve hunted snapping turtle thru ice covered lakes,and Ive fished through ice holes,but Ive yet to see spear fishing under ice.If you do so and happen to survive I would like to hear more of your experience. Uh,Griff? Where are you located and how old are you? Somehow I get the feeling you might be pulling our leg,or you just getting youthful ideas

Comment

@JM, It can't be that popular, or I would've heard of it, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
                    I,ve hunted snapping turtle thru ice covered lakes,and Ive fished through ice holes,but Ive yet to see spear fishing under ice.If you do so and happen to survive I would like to hear more of your experience. Uh,Griff? Where are you located and how old are you? Somehow I get the feeling you might be pulling our leg,or you just getting youthful ideas
                    I like your comment "if you happen to survive" that could be a big factor in this activity !!

Comment

I would be willing to say without a doubt that you would need some kind of a spear, beyond that I
                      would only be willing to say, I have no idea. Maybe a lot of good luck to again find the hole you
                      entered the water from.

Comment

@hft,
                        Not to be mean by saying this, but you live in Iowa. Of course you don't know of it because you never see it. Not many bodies of water in our area that allows for it.

Comment

There are few, very few who use dry suits and dive using a spear gun, usually rough fish. That's an illegal practice for game fish.

Comment

You southern folks lead sheltered lives. Spearing fish through the ice is a normal safe wintertime activity in the north country. Here's a sampling of some photos along with the equipment used to spear sturgeon. These are from WI news, to see more pics search "wi sturgeon spearing pictures"
                            Attached Files

Comment

Oh spearing is popular in WI. Do a search for wi sturgeon spearing pictures. See my other answers.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X