Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone care to share some of their tragic lost-fish stories? Yesterday I lost what might have been the biggest stream brown trout of my life, definitely over 20 inches; and about two hours that, I went to fish a slightly larger river for walleyes --

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone care to share some of their tragic lost-fish stories? Yesterday I lost what might have been the biggest stream brown trout of my life, definitely over 20 inches; and about two hours that, I went to fish a slightly larger river for walleyes --

    Anyone care to share some of their tragic lost-fish stories? Yesterday I lost what might have been the biggest stream brown trout of my life, definitely over 20 inches; and about two hours that, I went to fish a slightly larger river for walleyes -- and lost one of the biggest walleyes I've ever hooked. You know that expression, "The worst day fishing is better than the best day working?" Yeah, well, not yesterday.

  • #2
    This might not be your typical lost-fish story, but it's the one that haunts me most. I was bowfishing with my brother one night a couple of years ago on the Mississippi river. I had just shot at a quillback (a small rough fish similar to a sucker), when I looked over to the other side of the boat and saw the biggest longnose gar I've ever seen, before or since. It was an almost-certain state record; I'm guessing 55-60" long and probably 18-20 pounds. It was just sitting there about 10 feet from the boat, and you could see every scale in the crystal-clear water. I couldn't do anything because my arrow was in the water, so I frantically hissed to my brother that there was a giant gar right next to us. He spun around and was just lining up the shot when it flicked its tail and disappeared from the lights. We spun the boat around and trolled back over the area, and sure enough he resurfaced dead ahead of the boat, swimming right at the trolling motor. It's not best to take a shot at a gar that's facing straight away or straight toward you, because even huge ones aren't a large target, relatively-speaking, and their armor-like scales are very hard to penetrate, but I knew it was that or spook him, so I let it fly. I did hit him, but sure enough the arrow didn't penetrate at that sharp angle, and just glanced off. Needless to say, I saw that fish in my sleep for quite a while after that.

    Comment


    • #3
      Two friends and I were fishing a lake in MO. One friend was just there for fun(didn't know how to fish). Well my other friend hooked into a bass that was an easy 10+. The other friend tried to net it(first fish he ever tried to net) and got a treble hook stuck in the net and pulled the other treble out of the fishes mouth in the process. Needless to say both of their vocabularies were reduced to swear words.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by JM View Post
        Two friends and I were fishing a lake in MO. One friend was just there for fun(didn't know how to fish). Well my other friend hooked into a bass that was an easy 10+. The other friend tried to net it(first fish he ever tried to net) and got a treble hook stuck in the net and pulled the other treble out of the fishes mouth in the process. Needless to say both of their vocabularies were reduced to swear words.
        It's amazing how hard it can be for even an experienced angler to net a big fish.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JM View Post
          Two friends and I were fishing a lake in MO. One friend was just there for fun(didn't know how to fish). Well my other friend hooked into a bass that was an easy 10+. The other friend tried to net it(first fish he ever tried to net) and got a treble hook stuck in the net and pulled the other treble out of the fishes mouth in the process. Needless to say both of their vocabularies were reduced to swear words.
          @HFT,
          Yep, I've messed up a few but luckily nothing big. The concept seems so easy on the surface, maybe that's why so many people have trouble(especially people who are new/never done it before).

          Comment


          • #6
            Sometimes when I lost a fish I think my fishing buddy would hit the fish on the nose with the net just so it would get off. I have had that happen a few times with no explanation.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              Sometimes when I lost a fish I think my fishing buddy would hit the fish on the nose with the net just so it would get off. I have had that happen a few times with no explanation.
              That's pretty low.

              Comment


              • #8
                My brother hooked into the biggest lake troat we had ever caught in one of the Okanagan Lakes of British Columbia. He fought that troat for about thirty minutes before we even got a look at it. As the fish came to the surface by the boat my father tried to scoop it up with a small fishing net. He got it headfirst right to the bottom of the net but most of the fish was hanging out. As her lifted the monster it flopped out and the triple hook caught in the netting. The hook stayed and the fish went. We went to town the next day and bought the biggest #*###*!!!## net we could find! That was 40 years ago and we still talk about it every summer at the lake It is a painful memory!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Kody View Post
                  My brother hooked into the biggest lake troat we had ever caught in one of the Okanagan Lakes of British Columbia. He fought that troat for about thirty minutes before we even got a look at it. As the fish came to the surface by the boat my father tried to scoop it up with a small fishing net. He got it headfirst right to the bottom of the net but most of the fish was hanging out. As her lifted the monster it flopped out and the triple hook caught in the netting. The hook stayed and the fish went. We went to town the next day and bought the biggest #*###*!!!## net we could find! That was 40 years ago and we still talk about it every summer at the lake It is a painful memory!
                  After that trout the other day, I tried to console myself with the sheer fact that I'd even seen the fish -- a 20 incher or better in a crick you can jump across in some places! Just knowing it's there, and at least I fooled it, and all that ... but it just doesn't quite ease the pain.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Kody View Post
                    My brother hooked into the biggest lake troat we had ever caught in one of the Okanagan Lakes of British Columbia. He fought that troat for about thirty minutes before we even got a look at it. As the fish came to the surface by the boat my father tried to scoop it up with a small fishing net. He got it headfirst right to the bottom of the net but most of the fish was hanging out. As her lifted the monster it flopped out and the triple hook caught in the netting. The hook stayed and the fish went. We went to town the next day and bought the biggest #*###*!!!## net we could find! That was 40 years ago and we still talk about it every summer at the lake It is a painful memory!
                    Yes, that sums it up very well. I guess we do take some consolation in having the good story to tell... but the fish in the boat would definitely made for a better story.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      A few weeks back me and my dad were fishing in a small lake, going for bass. It was a decent morning, I got a 19 inch large mouth later that day. Early in the morning we saw a gigantic musky jump after a nice bass. We kept casting to shore twitching jerkbaits for bass. When I was cranking my jerkbait in after a few jerks I saw the musky. It followed my lure to our canoe and grabbed the back of my lure, somehow it managed to miss all 3 treble hooks and take off a huge hunk of my lure's paint. It was about 4 1/2 to 5 feet long. It was bigger than any freshwater fish I've ever seen.

                      Comment

                      Welcome!

                      Collapse

                      Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                      If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                      And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                      Right Rail 1 Ad

                      Collapse

                      Top Active Users

                      Collapse

                      There are no top active users.

                      Right Rail 2 Ad

                      Collapse

                      Latest Topics

                      Collapse

                      Right Rail 3 Ad

                      Collapse

                      Footer Ad Widget

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X