Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do any of you have experience using barbless hooks for small panfish(bluegill, etc.)? I was just wondering if this would be a better option for younger kids who often struggle with getting the barb out on a fish that swallows the hook.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pathfinder1
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    I flatten the barb as well. If it is real deep and you want to release, cut the hook leader and the fish may survive.
    If you keep getting hooks swallowed you need a more sensitive rig so you get them in the lip.
    Hi...

You might be able to release them better by also using a hook with a longer shank...!! (more hook to grip).

Leave a comment:

• DSMbirddog
    replied
    I think it is a pretty good idea JM. Even for adults. As 4ever autumn states, you won't lose many fish if you keep your line tight.

Leave a comment:

• huntfishtrap
    replied
    Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
    I use needle-nose pliers and flatten the barbs on all my lures and hooks. I started doing it just with trout spinners, but then one summer I had a thrashing smallmouth put a Rapala's hook under my thumbnail. Getting that out was a real treat.
    You aren't kidding about that. I imbedded the treble hook of a spinner under my fingernail a few years ago. Had to have someone cut it out with a sterilized razor blade. That's about as fun as it sounds.

Leave a comment:

• JM
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    I flatten the barb as well. If it is real deep and you want to release, cut the hook leader and the fish may survive.
    If you keep getting hooks swallowed you need a more sensitive rig so you get them in the lip.
    @JHP,
    I'm asking this because when little cousins come over they always run up to the house every time they can't get the hook out. Bobber can't get much smaller than what I have them throwing. They just don't have the quickest reaction time haha.

Leave a comment:

• Okwaho
    replied
    I use needle-nose pliers and flatten the barbs on all my lures and hooks. I started doing it just with trout spinners, but then one summer I had a thrashing smallmouth put a Rapala's hook under my thumbnail. Getting that out was a real treat.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JM
    replied
    Originally posted by 4everAutumn View Post
    I've flattened barbs for bluegill before, but have never fished completely barbless. The lump that the flattened barb leaves still hold the fish pretty well but does make them easier to take off. This might be worth a try for you.
    That would be easier than having to buy new barbless hooks as well...I was actually thinking of ways to remove the barb, but smashing it down seems like a better idea.

Leave a comment:

• 4everAutumn
    replied
    I've flattened barbs for bluegill before, but have never fished completely barbless. The lump that the flattened barb leaves still hold the fish pretty well but does make them easier to take off. This might be worth a try for you.

Leave a comment:

• JM
    replied
    Originally posted by Pathfinder1 View Post
    Hi...!!

If the fish SWALLOWS the hook...I have a feeling that it's not coming out easy, if at all...barbed or not...!!
    I just mean inside of the mouth, not clear down in the stomach! Leave it to you to correct me on that one hah.

Leave a comment:

• Pathfinder1
    replied
    Hi...!!

If the fish SWALLOWS the hook...I have a feeling that it's not coming out easy, if at all...barbed or not...!!

Leave a comment:

• Do any of you have experience using barbless hooks for small panfish(bluegill, etc.)? I was just wondering if this would be a better option for younger kids who often struggle with getting the barb out on a fish that swallows the hook.

Do any of you have experience using barbless hooks for small panfish(bluegill, etc.)? I was just wondering if this would be a better option for younger kids who often struggle with getting the barb out on a fish that swallows the hook.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Happy Thanksgiving !
    by bowhunter75richard
    Wishing all users on the site a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving ! How far will some of you be driving to spend this great family time with your families...
    11-25-2019, 01:39 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X