Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i am looking for info on how to make an electric worm shocker for digging fishing worms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i am looking for info on how to make an electric worm shocker for digging fishing worms

i am looking for info on how to make an electric worm shocker for digging fishing worms

There are plans on the internet, but to be honest, I wouldn't suggest using them. I built one when I was younger and they work great if they don't kill you first. You can do the same thing with a good piece of rebar and a wooden stake. Drive the stake into the ground and rub the rebar back and forth on the wooden stake. The vibration will bring them out just like electricity will.

Comment

Originally posted by 4everAutumn View Post
      There are plans on the internet, but to be honest, I wouldn't suggest using them. I built one when I was younger and they work great if they don't kill you first. You can do the same thing with a good piece of rebar and a wooden stake. Drive the stake into the ground and rub the rebar back and forth on the wooden stake. The vibration will bring them out just like electricity will.
      Good advice. Screwing around with electricity is a good way to get hurt, or worse. I've just driven a stake into the ground and wiggled it back and forth with my hands; it works pretty good.

Comment

I got really lucky with the one I made. A garden hose, an idiot friend and a chain link fence almost ended us both. I was done with worm shockers after that day. We get them by going out at night with a flashlight. On a good night, we can get a coffee can full of them and the biggest risk to me is a sore back. Keep them in the fridge, feed them a bit and change the dirt occasionally and they'll live all season.

Comment

Am I missing something? He is asking about dug worms, not night crawlers.
          For dug worms, electricity is not best. Just take a spade and turn over a chunk of earth, then carefully break it up. You will expose the worms as you go. Good luck.

Comment

I agree with everyone else. I do not mess with electricity whenever possible. Another method not mentioned is using black walnuts(which in my area are abundant). Get a bucket and fill it up with some black walnuts with cracked husks(may need a hammer or you can drive over them). Fill the bucket up with water. Stir it up and wait for the water to turn color. Dump the water out on the ground in a good spot for worms and wait for them to come out of the ground. Rinse them off in some clean water as you get pick them up. The good thing is that the walnuts can be re-used a few times until they stop changing the color of the water. Another good thing is that this method can not kill you unless you have an allergy.

Comment

@4everAutumn, "Died while shocking worms" would be an unfortunate epitaph to have on one's gravestone wouldn't it? Lol I usually just pick them up too, or dig them. What do you feed them to keep them alive that long?
              @JHP, What's the difference? When I dig worms I usually come up with all sizes, from night crawlers to little red wigglers.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                I agree with everyone else. I do not mess with electricity whenever possible. Another method not mentioned is using black walnuts(which in my area are abundant). Get a bucket and fill it up with some black walnuts with cracked husks(may need a hammer or you can drive over them). Fill the bucket up with water. Stir it up and wait for the water to turn color. Dump the water out on the ground in a good spot for worms and wait for them to come out of the ground. Rinse them off in some clean water as you get pick them up. The good thing is that the walnuts can be re-used a few times until they stop changing the color of the water. Another good thing is that this method can not kill you unless you have an allergy.
                The fact that something cannot kill you is always a good thing. Lol
                I've used walnut water, and it does work pretty good. But the ultimate liquid for bringing worms to the surface is a little citrus-based degreaser, such as Citra-Solv, mixed with water. Since it's all-natural, there's no reason to worry about pouring it out on the ground, and it brings worms to the surface pronto. You'll definitely want to wash them off though, or they might expire.

Comment

Hi...

You Tube probably has myriad ways to make one...yet there are simpler ways...I think 4everAutumn is on the right track...!!

Simply use a piece of lath (wood about two inches wide and up to half an inch thick, and about eighteen inches long)...!! Pound your piece of lath into a proper area to a depth of ten inches...Than take a second piece of lath...and held horizontally..scrape it across the top of your buried piece of lath...if worms/night crawlers are present...the vibrations will drive them to the surface...!!

Unfortunately...we cannot use that method here in NY...our bait must be PURCHASED...in other words...regulated farm-raised bait are (allegedly) disease and otherwise free from stuff that might effect our fisheries...!!

NOTE: I am in error regarding digging one's own worms...Just called a CO and was advised that it is LEGAL to dig or otherwise capture your own worms...Thanks to the person who set me straight on this...and whose comment may be found below in 'comments'...!!

Comment

Funny, huntfishtrap! I can't think of too many more odd ways to go. I usually use coffee grounds and a bit of dry oatmeal or grits for worm food. (I know, we live in Iowa, but I was born in Alabama and raised in Missouri. We are a grits family.) The big thing is to keep the dirt fresh. I change it out every couple weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Pathfinder1 View Post
                      Hi...

You Tube probably has myriad ways to make one...yet there are simpler ways...I think 4everAutumn is on the right track...!!

Simply use a piece of lath (wood about two inches wide and up to half an inch thick, and about eighteen inches long)...!! Pound your piece of lath into a proper area to a depth of ten inches...Than take a second piece of lath...and held horizontally..scrape it across the top of your buried piece of lath...if worms/night crawlers are present...the vibrations will drive them to the surface...!!

Unfortunately...we cannot use that method here in NY...our bait must be PURCHASED...in other words...regulated farm-raised bait are (allegedly) disease and otherwise free from stuff that might effect our fisheries...!!

NOTE: I am in error regarding digging one's own worms...Just called a CO and was advised that it is LEGAL to dig or otherwise capture your own worms...Thanks to the person who set me straight on this...and whose comment may be found below in 'comments'...!!
                      Mr. Hansen, I'm in NY and have never heard of any regulation pertaining to worms -- or any bait, other than baitfish, which must either be purchased OR trapped in the same water you're fishing. If the baitfish are not certified, whether purchased or personally harvested, they cannot be transported overland by motor vehicle. These laws came into effect when the eastern hemorrhagic disease (I think that's the name of it) was spreading. Did you perhaps learn of these regulations and think that it applied to all forms of bait?

Comment

@4everAutumn, I believe it's a law that you can't like grits if you live north of the Mason-Dixon line, but I won't give away your secret.

Comment

I always used dug worms, the tiny ones, for trout and the night crawlers for the walleye, etc..
                          We used a flashlight for night crawlers and it was best when there was a heavy dew or right after a evening shower.
                          Coffee grounds and worm bedding with some newspaper thrown in kept them a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pathfinder1 View Post
                            Hi...

Hi...

I just checked with a Conservation Officer...And you are right...I would guess that I misread those regs in the past...Yes...We can dig, etc our own fish worms.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention...!!

Comment

We used to use a car battery with leads attached to a copper grounding rod. Drive in the ground rod and attach the leads to the battery, up pop the worms. If you are thinking of attaching it to house hold current I would not use electricity either.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X