Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Continuing in the vein of asking questions a new hunter or angler might have, what is/are the best knot(s) to attach a lure or hook to the fishing line?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuing in the vein of asking questions a new hunter or angler might have, what is/are the best knot(s) to attach a lure or hook to the fishing line?

Continuing in the vein of asking questions a new hunter or angler might have, what is/are the best knot(s) to attach a lure or hook to the fishing line?

• Solitario Lupo
    replied
    I

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by woodcockpro View Post
    I like the rapella knot. It's an improved fishermans knot and is supposedly 1 of the best topwater knots of all time. I almost always use topwaters because I like to watch the splash when the fish hit, there's nothing quite like the feeling when you see a 6lbs bass grab it and jump with it.
    I need to look that one up. Thanks for mentioning it.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    Here is a nice site to learn how to tie knots...

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/
    Thanks! I can always use help for tying knots

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    The one by 4ever is one of the best. I keep a diagram of knots in my tackle box because there are some very specialized knots that I can't remember. Especially to tie different lines together.
    Great idea Jimbo! I'm going to start doing that.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Here's some wisdom from OL

Leave a comment:

• bobby072
    replied
    Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
    I have to confess, my Grandpop taught me the improved clinch when I was probably about 7 or 8. Over the years I've at times made a point of learning and practicing different knots, but the improved clinch is what seems to stick and I revert to without even thinking about it for just about all fishing knots that aren't joining knots.
    I always use the Palomar Knot. It is almost impossible to break and is easy to tie.

Leave a comment:

• jcarlin
    replied
    I have to confess, my Grandpop taught me the improved clinch when I was probably about 7 or 8. Over the years I've at times made a point of learning and practicing different knots, but the improved clinch is what seems to stick and I revert to without even thinking about it for just about all fishing knots that aren't joining knots.

Leave a comment:

• woodcockpro
    replied
    I like the rapella knot. It's an improved fishermans knot and is supposedly 1 of the best topwater knots of all time. I almost always use topwaters because I like to watch the splash when the fish hit, there's nothing quite like the feeling when you see a 6lbs bass grab it and jump with it.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Here is a nice site to learn how to tie knots...

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/

Leave a comment:

• pineywoods
    replied

The knot I use most often in fishing is the uni-knot. It is used to attach your terminal tackle and to join two lines together. I really like it for joining braid to my mono top shot. The improved clinch is a good one, too. The Albright hitch, or knot, is good for attaching your line to a heavy mono leader without using a swivel. There are specialized knots, but with these three, and the Palomar, you can get a lot of fishing done. Tight lines.

Leave a comment:

• huntfishtrap
    replied
    Originally posted by 4everAutumn View Post
    There are so many names of this terminal knot that I can't keep up with them all, but this is the one I always use.
    The improved clinch knot is what I use. If I'm fishing for big fish - bass for example - I'll top it off with a square knot. I started doing that after having clinch knots come apart when fighting larger fish.

Leave a comment:

• 4everAutumn
    replied
    There are so many names of this terminal knot that I can't keep up with them all, but this is the one I always use.
    This one is supposed to be a better version of the improved clinch knot. About the only difference is the strength in the cushion of the two pieces of line instead of the one single line of the clinch knot. An old catfisherman showed it to me on an outing years ago and I've used it ever since. Come to think of it, I fixed his Harley last summer and he still owes me a catfishing trip. Time to make a call for some summer plans...

Leave a comment:

• DSMbirddog
    replied
    I use three different knots to attach hooks and lures. First is the improved clinch knot as shown below. I like it for Texas rigging and walleye jigs. The Palomar knot is an easy knot to tie and retains 100% strength of the line. It is a good knot for bass jigs and I also use it to attach steel leaders for pike and muskie fishing. The final knot I use is the Snell knot for making live bait rigs for walleyes and trout.

Leave a comment:

• DSMbirddog
    replied
    That is an improved clinch knot, 4Everautumn. A very good knot in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget